Why am I liable for my wife's debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why am I liable for my wife's debt?

We are being sued for medical debt for my wife, but it will be discharged soon.

I'm just wondering why my name is on the suit.

Are spouses liable for each other's debts?

Originally posted by brokenomore View Post
    We are being sued for medical debt for my wife, but it will be discharged soon.

I'm just wondering why my name is on the suit.

Are spouses liable for each other's debts?
    I'm not an attorney but familiar with this. If it is a community property, community debt state such as where I live, yes. If it's debt incurred during the marriage and are living together, joint accounts, etc., you would be liable. If you are separated, not even legally separated, and can show that you have no debt together, no joint accounts, and so forth, then you wouldn't be liable such as is my case.

We got hit with a lawsuit by a really nasty group of people. I incurred debt that is now being heavily questioned because of the amount they're claiming and they included my estranged husband in on the lawsuit. We've been separated for 3 years. We have not incurred any debt together for well over 10 years, no co signing, etc., no joint accounts, etc., but they claimed in their lawsuit that the reason they were able to go after him was because it was in support of a minor (our son) according to family law.

Comment

Some states have a Doctrine of Necessities law. Do a google search using that term and you'll find a few examples and explanations.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X