top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good Bank to change to pre-BK??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a good Bank to change to pre-BK??

I was recommended to move my primary checking out of the credit union I am in because it has a policy of denying checking privileges to anyone who exposes them to risk, and I have a car loan I am hoping to reaffirm with them and he said they would close my checking priviledges and offer only savings.

He also mentioned that Wells Fargo freezes ch7 filers accounts as a blanket policy. wow!

I like credit unions but I am in a rush for a new bank and wont be able to inspect their picayune policies, while the bunch of you have a collective knowledge of the big banks.

So who should I get an account with? Just looking for someone who wont mess with me after I file.

Cant be BoA or Chase cause we're not on good terms (unrequited love-- I never return their calls).

Any suggestions?

MMP

What state are you in? Few big banks are truly national -- for instance, I don't have a Chase anywhere around here at all.

Comment

Since you are in CA, I like Bank of the West. You can earn $100 new account bonus too - check out their webpage. I like their BillPay system. Can't tell you what their BK policy is, although I've not heard any bad reports from them on the net. Other small regional banks may be OK too.
      “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Don't use any bank that you have credit cards or loans through and avoid banks that freeze accounts (such as those you've mentioned) during bankruptcy.

I'm not sure where you are, but I love Landmark Bank (in Florida, I HIGHLY recommend them) if it is available to you.

Good luck!
        A mom on the Gulf Coast of FL filing CH7 and blogging about it. http://chapter7beforeandafter.blogspot.com

Retained Lawyer: 4/5/10. Filed: 6/17/10. 341: 7/21/10. Discharge Date: TBA

Comment

I opened an account w/ Lockheed FCU a week after filing in Dec. My direct deposit goes into ING Direct, but we need something we can write actual checks on from time to time. Have had no problems... But I also do not have (and do not plan to open) any type of credit account with them - not even overdraft. So will never have to worry about cross collateralization.
          Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
          (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Again, my opinion. Your best bet is a local owned private bank. We have two here where we live. You can still go online and direct deposit as the little banks use servicing companies to do the electronics. Home town banks are less likely to be cruel to local people. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I switched to TD Bank, I don't know if there is one by you. But I am in the 60 day waiting period after the 341 and have had no problems with my account being frozen.

Comment

I am in Sacramento CA. I thought of a certain credit union around here as a fairly local bank but then was informed by the attorney that they will take away my checking. So i was thinking a big brand bank would at least have a rap sheet with you folks so I could know what I was getting into.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneypenny View Post
                  I am in Sacramento CA. I thought of a certain credit union around here as a fairly local bank but then was informed by the attorney that they will take away my checking. So i was thinking a big brand bank would at least have a rap sheet with you folks so I could know what I was getting into.
                  The only banks we have heard about on this forum are Wells Fargo and possibly Chase as of late. Reports are not frequent or consistent. If we don't hear about a bank freezing or canceling a checking account after filing for BK, then we would never know about it. I'd suggest you simply ask the banks you are considering in your area what their policy is for checking accounts after BK.

Obviously you do not want any prior adverse relationship with the bank.

I gave you a specific suggestion for a regional bank with several branches in Sacramento. They all have telephone numbers.
                  “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
                    I switched to TD Bank, I don't know if there is one by you. But I am in the 60 day waiting period after the 341 and have had no problems with my account being frozen.
                    TDBank are in CA. I like them too. They have good online access, ability to link accounts, and easy to read statements..

Comment

Originally posted by blockhead View Post
                      TDBank are in CA. I like them too. They have good online access, ability to link accounts, and easy to read statements..
                      According to their website TD Bank is not in CA.
                      TD Bank offers a broad array of retail, small business and commercial banking products and services to more than 6.5 million Customers in Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Florida, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont and Virginia.
                      So they would only function as an out-of-state online bank in CA, if they allow accounts from states they have no locations. What eastern state is your account located when you live in CA? How do you deposit checks safely with TDBank when you live in CA?
                      Last edited by WhatMoney; 04-01-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Sorry Blockhead was wrong

Comment

Just filed 7 yesterday and WF froze our accounts today. We have a large balance too. We have a call into our attorney to contact the TT to unfreeze it.

Had I known, I would have pulled out more money. Luckily we own a business and can take money from elsewhere, but if we didn't we would be up sh1t creek.

Just a word of caution.... PREPARE!

Comment

Prepare yourself

Just filed 7 yesterday and WF froze our accounts today. We have a large balance too. We have a call into our attorney to contact the TT to unfreeze it.

Had I known, I would have pulled out more money. Luckily we own a business and can take money from elsewhere, but if we didn't we would be up sh1t creek.

Just a word of caution.... PREPARE!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X