top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why is everyone so concerned about getting sued before filing BK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why is everyone so concerned about getting sued before filing BK?

Union Bank is probably going to file a default judgement they won in a stipulation agreement sometime soon.

Since this is dischargeable in a chapter 7 what's the concern?

Originally posted by drowningfast View Post
    Union Bank is probably going to file a default judgement they won in a stipulation agreement sometime soon.

Since this is dischargeable in a chapter 7 what's the concern?
    The debt is dischargeable in BK, but if you get a judgment before you file BK, you must go through an extra court motion to vacate the judgment after discharge. A pre-filing judgment survives the BK, until you get it vacated in the circuit court where you were sued.
    “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Until you file BK, a creditor with a judgment can garnish your wages, seize funds in a bank account, etc. If you're in this situation, you might just need every dime... say to eat or pay an attorney.
      12/2009 Stopped paying CCs; 3/10 1st suit;
      8/2010 finally served; No Asset 7 filed. 11 mos since last bal xfer
      9/22/10 60 day club; 9/24/10 report of no distr; 11/23/10 DISCHARGED

Comment

Also I've read that removing judicial liens on real estate is not always simple. Anyone with expertise want to chime in?
        12/2009 Stopped paying CCs; 3/10 1st suit;
        8/2010 finally served; No Asset 7 filed. 11 mos since last bal xfer
        9/22/10 60 day club; 9/24/10 report of no distr; 11/23/10 DISCHARGED

Comment

so basically, it's a pain in the rear to get it dis-charged? and costs money?

but it is dischargeable? I'm not too worried on the lien on the house it looks like we're letting that go, but if we did keep it how do we get rid of that as well?

Comment

Originally posted by drowningfast View Post
            so basically, it's a pain in the rear to get it dis-charged? and costs money?

but it is dischargeable? I'm not too worried on the lien on the house it looks like we're letting that go, but if we did keep it how do we get rid of that as well?
            It costs several hundred dollars to vacate a judgment. You have to go to the courthouse where the judgment was awarded and do the paperwork to vacate it. If you have moved, or if the creditor got the judgment in a location that is not near you, it is a pain to vacate them. Many people just dispute them on their credit reports and never officially vacate them since they are not collectible after discharge anyway.
            You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

in states a judgment results in an automatic lien on certain properties, which you would have to file a motion to avoid in bk if you have assets you are not giving up, which seems not to apply to you.

as backtoschool says, getting a judgment vacated might be a pain (though i doubt it costs as much as he says it does), but is not necessary. i have a judgment against me that never made it even to my credit reports. i did nothing about vacating it and i don't care because the creditor can't do anything with it.
              filed ch7 May 09
              341 june 09
              discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
                in states a judgment results in an automatic lien on certain properties, which you would have to file a motion to avoid in bk if you have assets you are not giving up, which seems not to apply to you.

as backtoschool says, getting a judgment vacated might be a pain (though i doubt it costs as much as he says it does), but is not necessary. i have a judgment against me that never made it even to my credit reports. i did nothing about vacating it and i don't care because the creditor can't do anything with it.
                I am a "she" not a "he".

I know how much it costs because I had to do it for my judgment.

Comment

sorry! i am a "she" too, i should have been more careful

wow, why is it several hundred dollars? is it for paying a lawyer or just filing fees??
                  filed ch7 May 09
                  341 june 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
                    sorry! i am a "she" too, i should have been more careful

wow, why is it several hundred dollars? is it for paying a lawyer or just filing fees??
                    Filing fees with the court. It's outrageous, I agree.

Comment

wow. the bankrupt have to pay hundreds to get their judgments vacated when the bk statute says that they are automatically vacated. unbelievable. like they don't tax us enough as it is.
                      filed ch7 May 09
                      341 june 09

Comment

ok, so I hear you "ladies and gentlemen"!

sounds like this isn't the end of the world. should I try to stall union bank? if I make a payment towards the settlement it would probably put them off until I could file. I haven't even taken a means test yet. I called a BK attorney and she pre qualified me after a 30min phone call.

Comment

Originally posted by keptdigging View Post
                          Until you file BK, a creditor with a judgment can garnish your wages, seize funds in a bank account, etc. If you're in this situation, you might just need every dime... say to eat or pay an attorney.
                          keptdigging, this is exactly why I'm afraid of being sued before I can file!!! Eating is a major priority for me and my family!!! Well said!!!
                          08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
                          04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
                          06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
                          08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Comment

Originally posted by keptdigging View Post
                            Also I've read that removing judicial liens on real estate is not always simple. Anyone with expertise want to chime in?
                            I don't have any expertise.
                            Just know what the lawyer told me when we discussed it.
                            If any of the creditors who have default judgements did happen to get a lien on my property before I file.
                            I guess the only way to have those leins removed is during the BK procedings.
                            Which will cost me extra if it does come up.
                            7/01/10 - filed!
                            11/20/10 - discharged and closed

Comment

I know in my case, I had some purchases to make before BK (all exempt items that would be considered as needed for living), so I was concerned about getting a judgment in which a creditor could seize my bank account.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X