cell phone contract renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cell phone contract renewal

Someone just brought to my attention, that because i filed bankruptcy, verizon might not renew my contract with them in February. We have been with them for several years, and have never had our service turned off. The most we have been late, was about 20 days.
    Anyone experience this? I am looking to upgrade my phone, since my phone sucks, but if they wont renew my contract in a year, then i dont want to spend the money.

Thanks
    Melissa
    Ch 7 Filed 2-22
    Discharged 6/2010

I have had no problems with Verizon and getting a new phone which requires a renewed contract. I have been with them over 10 years and have always paid on time. I expect you would have the same experience with them.
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

We haven't actually filed yet, BUT we stopped paying our CC's a few months ago, so I imagine our credit has gone down the toilet. We renewed with Verizon into a new 2 yr contract without any problems. (We've been with them for about 7 yrs now.)

We don't plan on including them in our bankruptcy (we're current on our bill), so I would think they'd just keep renewing our contract without any trouble. I wouldn't think our credit would get much worse when we actually do file. LOL

Comment

I asked my provider, AT&T if they were going to pull my credit report when I renewed and they said they don't do that for "returning customers" just new customers
        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
          I asked my provider, AT&T if they were going to pull my credit report when I renewed and they said they don't do that for "returning customers" just new customers
          Yeah, don't believe that shit!!

As for us...
          Nope, never paid a late bill, never missed a bill because we intended on keeping this account. We even have been with AT&T for last 6 years.

Since it had to be listed per my attourney on our BK papers, AT&T closed our one account and gave us a new number on our account, never telling us and someone at the top made the decision that if anyone files BK and has it charged off on their BK in order to sign a new contract, add a line, yadda, yadda, yadda, they require a $800.00 deposit no matter what your credit is for 2 years out from your discharge date. Then after your 2 year discharge date don't assume you will get a contract free and clear, there will still be some sort of contrac that requires a deposit of some sort. F off AT&T!!

I am thinking that if I can't sign up for Verizion or Sprint after Dec 23rd 2010 when our contract is up with AT&T through my work to get a discount, we will probably go pre paid.

Thats a whole nother can of worms I don't get. We charged off the AT&T and never signed a contract for another cell phone, not sure why we are still tied into AT&T. They said we would owe them $100.00 for each phone on our plan for earily withdrawl. Isn't that illegal since we were put it on our BK?? How is that if we never signed a new contract?? How is that if we were discharged CH 7?? Someone somewhere is pissin me off!

Not happy, but still glad we filed and are out from under that rock we originally crawled under.

Now to the next part of our post BK getting our credit report and cleaning house! But that is another thread.

Good luck to you...

Schel
          Discharge 1/19/2009

Comment

Oh, I see. I didn't include AT&T in my BK, so I think that's why I didn't have any problems renewing my contract with AT&T.
            9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

We have had Verizon for years. The only thing they did when we filed bankruptcy was change our account number. No interruption in service ect.. The account number was
              12345 changed to 12345-1. They said they had to do this to show they complied with the BK.

Comment

I'm confused as to why include them on your BK paperwork? If you are current and don't owe them anything, I don't think they should be in the mix. In which case, nothing should change when you renew your contract...if you are a (good) returning customer...they wouldn't be doing another credit check on you for no reason.
                Our attorney indicated as much anyway. (Haven't filed yet, but we're in the process of filling out paperwork)

Comment

Yeah, I was never told to include any of my utilities etc in my paperwork, so I don't know why you would have to include them if you didn't need to discharge a bill. I was current and have no problem renewing my account.
                  9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

It didn't make sense to us. The attorney just said to include everything. He said it is good practice to show all of your creditors to the trustee.

Comment

Originally posted by Mi Bankruptcy View Post
                      It didn't make sense to us. The attorney just said to include everything. He said it is good practice to show all of your creditors to the trustee.
                      Yes, us also, sorry we did that!
                      Still fuming!!
                      Schel
                      Discharge 1/19/2009

Comment

I canceled my service with Verizon before filing bankruptcy. Of course I had them like 10 years. I renewed with Verizon with no problems. I am also confused as to why your attorney included your cellphone into bankruptcy. Now I am glad I did what I did.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X