My BK record on Google!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My BK record on Google!

I just googled my name today and found that "Motion for Relief from Automatic Stay" was shown on the top of the search results on Google!

It was done last month and listed in the BK court website and now it's being listed on Google. What a surprise result!

I understand well that BK is a public record but Googling my name is a different story. Anyone who wants to google my name finds this very easily on the top of the Google website.

I am really frustrated with this.....

How long will the court result be shown on the google? Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Whether it shows as the top result depends on your general web presence. Also, you may want to try the google search from a computer you don't frequently use or disable the web history aspect of the search. Thus, if you have been spending a lot of time at bankruptcy related sites, then google will show your name search in relation to BK.

when you do a google search, google by default looks at whatever web history you have on your browser and re-ranks results based on that history. To disable, you will see a link to "view customization" at the top right of the results. Click on that. Near the lower part of the text, you can click on the phrase "without these improvements" to see the results that would appear if google did not use your computers web history.

However, what you experienced is the primary way BK will pop-up on a google search, if the court publishes the docket on the internet, that allows search engines to index that information. However, the search engines are not able to index PACER.

Comment

Useful info as always HHM.

Googled my name, nothing pertinent came up. Seems there are some other versions of 'me' with more creative talents than I personally possess. So little known musicians, artists, etc. were the subjects of the top pages Google displayed.
      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

so.. does it have to be confirmed before it shows up?

I googled both mine and hubby's and nothing came up at all..... of course, we havent had our 341 yet, but we have filed Ch. 13 and have a case number, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sjcmCA View Post
          I just googled my name today and found that "Motion for Relief from Automatic Stay" was shown on the top of the search results on Google!

It was done last month and listed in the BK court website and now it's being listed on Google. What a surprise result!

I understand well that BK is a public record but Googling my name is a different story. Anyone who wants to google my name finds this very easily on the top of the Google website.

I am really frustrated with this.....

How long will the court result be shown on the google? Any idea?

Thanks in advance.
          Did you use one of those "free" pacer-like site? I've heard if you do, then your bk information can get indexed there.

Comment

Yes PACER is indexed in Google. Google is the most advanced search engine to date and has the ability to cut through many sites. Understand this: There is NO anonymity on the World Wide Web. If you don't want it to be there forever, don't post it.

The new search engines as Google is also search other search providers and cross reference.

If you do a vanity search on your own name, you are likely to find thousands of your name on the web. Might not always be you, but it is your name. I discovered I was a nuclear scientist. I knew I was brilliant, but had no idea how much. LOL 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Yes PACER is indexed in Google
              Please back that up with some facts. PACER, as I understand it, is a private database, you cannot access the information without a user name and password, there is no way for google to index pages beyond the entry pages.

As was previously pointed out, the "free PACER access" websites, when they download the information is then placed publicly, but I have never seen a "true" PACER entry or document in a google search result. (but, I could be wrong).

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                I discovered I was a nuclear scientist. I knew I was brilliant, but had no idea how much. LOL 'Hub
                LOL! That made my day. Thanks Hub.
                Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
                341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
                Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

Comment

I'm in the same boat sj really stinks. I'm looking into companies that supposedly help to get your name to page 2 or more but it takes time and I don't know much about it. So much for laying low huh.....

Comment

Thanks for all your responses.
                    I have never used a free PACER service.
                    The web result is from the local BK court website in a PDF & html format for a hearing results.

My name is not popular so it might be shown on the top search results in Google.

I hate that my BK info can be searched in this easy way.

It is one of cons in Google. I am really disappointed.

Comment

Year 2010 is the prosperous year of BK Ads!!

The words "bankruptcy" now ..tops ten on the list of Google Ad words search... be forwarned everyone!

Comment

Googled myself...nothing...hmmm....
                        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

It happened to me, too. I am despondent over this. The one thing I was counting on was that people wouldn't be able to easily find out. Now it's there for the world to see. The only thing that's bringing me any sort of peace is that how many people actually Google your name? Still, it sucks, and is just one more thing I have to worry about.

Comment

Yeah, the whole thing stinks with privacy issues. I too was counting on only me and my girlfriend knowing. Sucks now parents relatives siblings co-workers anybody can google your name and see your bk on record. The whole thing went pretty good for me in the sixty day club now. But that was like a kick in the gut....about the only thing you can do is create alot of online presence, blogging, social networking, webpage whatever to kick that negative page down the line a bit.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X