Was I Just Had?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was I Just Had?

Attorney said to let creditors know. I made my calls. One of them (a debt collector for Amex) said my file wasn't coming up using my name and/or the file number that was on the letter they sent me. He asked for my social. I was reluctant to give it, but since we could not bring the account up any other way, I finally did, then a miracle happened. My account info came up.

I advised him of the plan to file. He took the attorneys name, and the name of the law firm and thanked me. I reminded him he might need my attorneys phone number.

So was I just had? I find it odd that even though I gave him detailed information (their file number on the letter they sent...the full account number and my name...what more info did they NEED), he somehow could not locate my account.

Was this a ruse to extract my social security number? When he asked for it he said it was 'safe, this call is being recorded' or something along those lines. I at first declined. He 'tried' some more to find the account and asked me a second time, and that's when I gave it.

I have nothing to hide and they won't learn anything new by having that number...but it ticks me off if I was just played. I thought these people already HAD all my info...they are a law firm themselves and they ordered up my credit report. How could they order up a credit report if they did not already have my social?

Odds are the info your provided will do no harm. (hopefully)

The good news is that you learned from the experience and the next person who tries the same will be rebuffed by the new, smarter version of ApresMoi; isn't that right. Press on.

Comment

Did you call them or did they call you?

Anyway, no one wants to be us with our shi**y credit scores. They won't be getting any credit with our SS #'s, that's for sure!
      Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
      Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
      Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
      341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

Ok, thank you. I hope so. At times, I am fed up with this 'information superhighway'. It's why the guy who smashed a brand new iPAD is a youtube sensation.

Originally posted by Mensa1 View Post
        Odds are the info your provided will do no harm. (hopefully)

The good news is that you learned from the experience and the next person who tries the same will be rebuffed by the new, smarter version of ApresMoi; isn't that right. Press on.

Comment

I called them.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Did you call them or did they call you?

Anyway, no one wants to be us with our shi**y credit scores. They won't be getting any credit with our SS #'s, that's for sure!

Comment

If you called them then I would not worry.
            Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
            Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
            Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
            341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

This might be a good time to remind everyone...
              If you ever provide that information, make sure YOU called THEM.

Never provide this information through email requests, or if someone calls you.

This way, you know for a fact who you called and it reduces your changes of getting HAD as the OP stated.

To the OP, I wouldn't lose sleep over what happened. I am sure it isn't a big deal as you called them, and they had that information anyhow I expect.

All the best
              8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
              11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Yes, it is a good time. We can never be reminded enough. I consider myself very well informed about privacy issues, and yet, every now and then I find myself doing something dumb. Keeping your information safe requires constant vigilance.

It did occur to me after I hung up if they did not have that info before, tehy have it now and could get ALL KINDS of reports about me with the use of that number, related to employment income, lawsuits, and on and on and on.

What I should have done is told him I would try another time. Because now I have to worry if they are going to use the social to gather info to figure out if they have a basis for a lawsuit. They don't, but it's just something I wish I had not done, even though, yes, I called them.

I am a worrier by nature. I will try to let this go. Too late now anyway.

Originally posted by NoMoreCards View Post
                This might be a good time to remind everyone...
                If you ever provide that information, make sure YOU called THEM.

Never provide this information through email requests, or if someone calls you.

This way, you know for a fact who you called and it reduces your changes of getting HAD as the OP stated.

To the OP, I wouldn't lose sleep over what happened. I am sure it isn't a big deal as you called them, and they had that information anyhow I expect.

All the best

Comment

Another possibility is that you gave this person your account number and he fat fingered it....it happens at my job all the time...heck, I have vendors that can't even read their invoice numbers to me correctly....he may have mistyped your account #...didn't even know he did it...and resorted to an alternative way of bringing up your info..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X