Dell and Best Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell and Best Buy

I am in the process of filing chapter 7. My attorney told me that I would not lose anything except for maybe to Dell and HP because of a purchase money security interest. Does anybody have experience with this and losing their computer or monitor? My HP computer is about 2 years old and I paid around $500 for it. My monitor from Dell is over a year old and I paid 225 for it. I don't have the money to buy them if they ask. Just curious is they likely will come for them. Thanks

A two year old computer that you paid $500 for isn't worth anything really. The monitor I would say the same. I can't see them taking the time to come to your house for items they would be lucky if they got a couple hundred dollars for. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Comment

Thanks. I hope so because I don't have money to buy a cheap computer even.

Comment

We filed in Dec., I had accounts with Dell (bought & paid off a laptop, then bought another laptop a year + later & accessories, made payments but did not pay off) and Best Buy (for a freezer, nothing else on the account, made payments but did not pay off).

Did not hear from Dell.

Best Buy was at my 341, and filed a claim as secured and wanted $500+ for the freezer. 2+ years old, I think it was $599 originally and I did make payments for 6-12 months. (NOt sure how many.) I refused to be bullied, so I told attorney H*ll NO and they could have it if they wanted it. I would not pay what they demanded to keep it. Amended after the 341. Haven't heard more on it yet, and while I would rather keep it I am ok w/ giving it up.
        Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
        (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

It does really depend on the item and the value. When the item is worth minimal amounts, most creditors will not bother with trying to repossess the item. On the other hand if the items has value to the creditor, then the creditor may seek to repossess it or a payment for the item.
          deleted by moderator

Comment

If they file a secured claim, its not because they want your stuff. They want you to pay, and they want you to think they want your stuff. You could play it one of a couple of ways. Make an offer, based on what you think the item is now worth, to redeem the property. Or call their bluff - tell them no to reaffirming/redeeming and they can have it. Only go that route if you're willing to give it up, but its not likely. They would have to hire someone to go after it, plus either motion to lift the stay or wait until it was no longer in effect.
            Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
            (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

If Dell wants my computer back they can come take the piece of crap that already crashed about 4 times.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X