top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filing for Chapter 7 in New Jersey (without an attorney)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing for Chapter 7 in New Jersey (without an attorney)

Has anyone hear done it? How about without an attorney? I can't afford one. Heck, I can't even afford the filing fees and debt counseling.

This is my scenario:

1. No house.
    2. No car.
    3. 5-year old laptop
    4. Some artwork and lots of books
    5. Furniture. (bookcases, dressers)
    6. I share my apt. with my boyfriend. (after we met we moved into our current place) It's a very tiny room.
    7. I owe about $30,000. It's all credit card debt.
    8. I am reading the NOLO book.
    9. I'm currently being sued by Chase for $3,000 credit card plus interest. They haven't garnished my wages yet.
    10. Our combined income is WAY under the state average. However, I am filing alone. He doesn't owe anybody anything.

Has anyone filed in NJ?
    Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
    November 2010
    Closed: January 2011!!!

I'm in NJ, I didn't file pro se. You can get a NOLO book, I have heard others mentioning that it was helpful in filing pro se. Also, search this website on filing pro se. One thing about NJ, you will want to use the Federal Exemptions. The state one's are very stingy. And you are going to have take a pre-filing credit counseling class and a post-filing debt counseling class. There is no way around that. If you don't take the class before filing, you will be dismissed. If you don't take the class after filing, you won't get your discharge. Do a searh on these forums, they do have ideas on how to save money on these classes. The ones I took were the ones my attorney told me to take. Which cost more than what other people here have paid.

As for the filing fee, that is $299 and you may be able to pay that in installments.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X