Listing some debt as "future debt"??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listing some debt as "future debt"??

The person I spoke to from one attorney's office yesterday said that my upcoming medical expenses from the birth of our baby in May could be listed as "future debt". I'm not sure if he meant in the actual petition or on my questionnaire. Has anyone encountered that before?
    Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
    "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

Post-petition debt is not discharged in a Ch. 7. If its debt acquired after you actually file, it will not be wiped out. The office you spoke with must have been referring just to their questionnaire question.

Comment

Or perhaps they were suggesting you would need to include that in your expenses/schedule J? That is the only thing I can think of.

Unless there is precedent - and there might be - to consider the medical bills of the delivery & birth as a package w/ the prenatal. I'm thinking there might be a basis for this, since I recall paying a copay at my first prenatal visit and none after. It was considered continuation of the care that started on that first visit. I'd suggest ask your atty for clarification of what he means, and if this is it - get a 2nd opinion to be safe.
      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
        Unless there is precedent - and there might be - to consider the medical bills of the delivery & birth as a package w/ the prenatal. I'm thinking there might be a basis for this, since I recall paying a copay at my first prenatal visit and none after. It was considered continuation of the care that started on that first visit. I'd suggest ask your atty for clarification of what he means, and if this is it - get a 2nd opinion to be safe.
        My OB's charges include prenatal care & delivery, but I will have hospital & anesthesiologist bills too (have to have a C-section, yippee ) which are separate.

Probably I will get an atty on retainer, as soon as I decide on one, and then file in possibly July - all bills from delivery should be in by then, and hopefully insurance will have done their part.
        Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
        "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

Comment

Can you hold off on filing until after the birth? It says in your signature that you plan on filing in summer 2010. If that is the case, then the debts related to the birth will have been incurred. You will include all debts as of the day of filing.

They may just want the info to estimate what the medical debts will be when you actually do file. At that point they won't be "future debts" anymore.
          Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
          Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
          341 - 2/12/2010
          Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X