Stocks and Checking Accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stocks and Checking Accounts

We have about $9k in cash and stocks in a brokerage account. It's all the money in the world to us (literally). I have very little income, had been foreclosed upon, and over $40k in credit card debt. Naturally I think I would be a great candidate for a Ch 7, but I am concerned about the $9k we have in cash and stock. If they take that, well, we're toast. Going to se a BK attorney but wanted to get your input as well. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

You will lose the stock. Sell it now and you can probably save about 5k if you put it in a roth ira.

Comment

I am somewhat new to this, just had our first meeting with our BK guy last night. the way he explained it to us is your only allowed to keep so much $$ in assets when filing and anything beyond that is surrendered to the trustee.

Comment

I live in TX, and was wondering if this fell into some sort of exemption? I just can't find any specific information on it.

Comment

Originally posted by whaddaino View Post
          We have about $9k in cash and stocks in a brokerage account. It's all the money in the world to us (literally). I have very little income, had been foreclosed upon, and over $40k in credit card debt. Naturally I think I would be a great candidate for a Ch 7, but I am concerned about the $9k we have in cash and stock. If they take that, well, we're toast. Going to se a BK attorney but wanted to get your input as well. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
          If not in a retirement account, sell the stock and spend anything not exempted on household expenses, car repair or other normal expenses needed to stay afloat.

Comment

Don't think it falls under TX pretty liberal personal property exemption.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X