Creditor call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creditor call

Omg...I told my first creditor today to "call my lawayer". I was so nervous and afterwards my heart was pounding out of my chest. She, of course, was rude and nasty. She asked me how I could afford an attorney but not this debt. I told her to direct any and all questions to my attorney. What a nerve racking experience. I usually just ignore these calls (which is probably why I'm in this situation to begin with, but I digress...), but they called me at work! I had 2 of them call today while I was there. It makes me nervous that I had 5 days off before today. I wonder how many called while I was away. How embarassing. I'm sending out my "cease & desist" letters tomorrow.
    Atty on retainer - 04/13
    Filed - 04/28
    341 - 06/24
    DISCHARGE - 08/25/10

Originally posted by Missa310 View Post
    ... She, of course, was rude and nasty. She asked me how I could afford an attorney but not this debt ...
    Sorry that you were intimidated. I actually somewhat liked the calls (although I didn't feel like talking to the same creditor more than once a month.) When I was asked if I had any money, I would say that I did have some but that I needed money to live on and to hire an attorney. Of course, like you, I would get the retort that I should use that money to pay my debts. I would respond that I could not absolutely determine that I would not need that money before a possible BK filing, so that even if I wanted to, I could not make a payment. I then would go on about how my attorney had instructed me to not make any payments to a single creditor unless I was able to make all past due payments to all creditors, as I did not want such activity to jeopardize the possible BK filing due to having made payments to a preferred creditor. The phone representative would then not know what to say.

Comment

I can relate. I had a couple of creditors call me at work, and I told them I was too busy and couldn't talk right then, but if they gave me a phone number I could call them back when I got home.

In both cases they were happy to give me the phone number, and I called them that night when I was home (and away from any ears that might overhear me discussing my money problems on the phone.)

Fortunately, I only had to tell one creditor in "person" that I was filing. Like the OP I was HUGELY nervous. The conversation went something like this:

Creditor: Can you make a payment with us today?

Me: (gulp!) Actually, I have an attorney and she told me to direct all of your questions to her -

Creditor: (suddenly very brusque) Are you filing for bankruptcy???

Me: (double gulp!) Um, well, I'm thinking about it -

Creditor: Ma'am, I have to know whether you're filing for bankruptcy or not!

Me: (freaking out, thinking I've blown my cover and am about to get sued or something) Yes! Yes, I am.

I give the lady my attorney's information.

Creditor: (suddenly very nice again) Do you have a case number?

Me: (thinking, WTF?) Um, no, I'm filing the petition on Friday...

Creditor: All right. Thank you for the information. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Me: Not unless you can give me $XXXXXX so I don't have to file!

Creditor: (laughing) All right then, have a nice evening.

Me: Um, thanks, you too!

It was a rather odd conversation. The other creditor, I just waited until their office closed and left a message on their machine with the case number (which I had by that time) and my attorney's info. After I filed they stopped calling.

Comment

I have also begun to get creditor calls, and honestly they couldn't have been nicer. My husband got the calls at work; we pre-arranged that he would give them my number, so he didn't have to deal with them at work. The calls have gone something like this:

Creditor: We'd like to get your account current, can you make a payment today?
        Me: No, I'm sorry I can't.
        Creditor: May I ask if there is a circumstance preventing you from making a payment?
        Me: Yes, this is my husband's last week at work, and we have been advised by our attorney not to pay anything to anyone until our financial picture is clearer. However, I'd be happy to update you all on our situation any time you call back. I can always be reached at this number.

They all were courteous and regretful, saying that they were noting my response but unfortunately the collections department is on auto-dial, so I might receive more calls, but they certainly wished me well. One woman even said I was in her prayers.

We'll see if it continues....

Comment

Actually the part of your in her prayers is really sweet....Wish they were all like that

Comment

Filed on 04/28 and recieved a call today. The guy was very nice. He took my info and told me to have a blessed day and wished me luck.
            Atty on retainer - 04/13
            Filed - 04/28
            341 - 06/24
            DISCHARGE - 08/25/10

Comment

Still getting calls, but all have been very courteous. I just keep repeating that my husband is no longer employed, and we will not be making any payments until our financial picture is clearer. I think the fact that I almost always answer the phone helps, since they seem almost relieved that they are in touch with me.

Comment

Ugh I am dreading the calls. Haven't gotten any yet because I am not late on anything...yet. Retained an attorney on Wednesday. Won't be late on anything until May. Plan to file our case in May by the 14th.
                Filed CH 13 5/28/10
                341 Hearing 6/23/10 & 8/23/10/Confirmed 9/21/2010 36 months
                DISCHARGED 9/12/13

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X