top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On Schedule J, What Does Unexpected Expense Mean and More Questions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Schedule J, What Does Unexpected Expense Mean and More Questions??

Okay...I am forcing myself back to working on these forms again. I think we will have to wait to file anyway til we get past a huge (one-time) payment my husband got in January for income his company had shorted him two years ago anyway so I have not been rushing to get this done but my personal deadline is to have it to the attorney next week just so I can get it off my plate~!!!

So...I am trying to do this Schedule J and a lot of it is not very clear...there is a line that says Unexpected Expense...geez...that could be $10 a month or $10,000....? What do I put there? If it's unexpected, would that not mean that I do not know? As far as house maintenance, we have done nothing at all this last year as we were not sure we would even be able to keep the house and it needs quite a lot of repair. Is there a standard number that is allowable or do I have to show the past year's receipts?

Also, our son has been accepted into a Gifted program at school next year and we have been told that this will cost about $960 extra for books and additional testing...can I use that if we have not paid it yet? He is enrolled. He will also have expenses for football of $480 and LaCrosse of $360. Is this allowable?

Also, to qualify for the home loan mod last year, we cut our car and house insurance expenses to the bone. Now that the mod is done, I would like to put it back like it was becasue I am really worried that our deductibles are so high on everything now that if anything happens, no way will we ever have the money to get it fixed. Will they look at this as a ploy to qualify for a CH7 better? I can prove that until about 6 months ago, we always paid higher premiums for better insurance. We also got rid of our life insurance when I lost my job but that is another area I am very worried about and wondering if they will question it if we reinstate it now that we are filing BK?

One more thing...since the IRS intercepted our 2008 tax return in 2009 since we owed a back tax debt, my husband changed his deductions so very little tax is withheld. Should we change this back to what it should be as well so we have more expenses?

The more I work on this the more confusing it is.

The extra education costs may be okay. But I doubt that you will be able to list the LaCrosse and Football expenses. You really should discuss it with your attorney.

Comment

one thing that helped me when i was in a similar position was that when i was wondering all these things I really had no idea what my expenses actually were, so I was worried about not having enough on sched j. Many bk'ers are like me: they have no clue about finances and no idea what they spend on things. So when I looked at actual expenses the I & J didnt look so bad.

after I hired a lawyer, they were interested in my actual expenses but more so in what they knew would go unquestioned and basically arranged the expenses in the way they saw fit, based loosely on my life. I think this knowledge is indispensible.

I dont know what to advise you, but if it were me I would keep reciepts from now on (although you might not need them), and I would actually consider arranging your house and car expenses back the way you want them, especially since you are not filing for some time, provided this doesnt put you in a pickle after a few months (so, knowledge of your actual expenses is crucial here).

Other people might know better though

MMP

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
        The extra education costs may be okay. But I doubt that you will be able to list the LaCrosse and Football expenses. You really should discuss it with your attorney.
        That's kind of what I thought on our son's expenses and I will discuss with our attorney although they are real expenses they might think they go into entertainment expenses which was another category I had no idea what to do with. We watch RedBox movies at $1 each and eat out maybe twice a month so I figured maybe $60 a month for entertainment then I am thinking if you are filing BK ...are you even allowed anything for that? My husband probably spends at least $300 a month eating out as he travels for work but I would not put that under entertainment but not sure where to put it.

Does anyone know if there is someplace to look at what is allowed in a budget other thna what is spelled out when you fill out the means test? Maybe I am way overthinking this and maybe I should just put everything in there and let the attorney sort it out!

Comment

yeah thats what to do, list every kind of expense imaginable to the attorney, he will bunch them up, and not list some of them, depending. in my case, our entertainment for fam 4 was like $200 or maybe it was 300, cause a lot of things were bunched up in that.

there is a good comprehensive expense calculator that is designed to "smoke out" those expenses you didnt think of. search: Fraley and Fraley sacramento bankruptcy attorneys expense calculator etc. Include these and everything else you can think of with your lawyer.

But of course for planning purposes you do need to have a rough idea, and technically lawyers are not allowed to tell you take a car loan out anymore, etc. because they are not allowed to advise you to do anything that would put you more into debt (not because it is automatically illegal to take out a car loan many months before filing). So this forum is a good place to work out those issues.

MMP

Comment

There is $150 listed on my Schedule J for entertainment if that helps. There are 3 in my family.

Comment

Thanks for your responses! I think I will just put everything I can think of in there and let the attorneys figure it out. Also...definitely get our insurance back to the higher rates and better coverage.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X