No announcement yet.

Guilt over filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totally understand the feelings of guilt over going bankrupt. I fought that feeling the entire time my bankruptcy was in process. It's over now, and for the first time in years I feel hopeful for the future, MY future, instead of thinking I would just be stuck in my situation forever, just getting farther and farther behind every month.

I saw the notice of my filing in our city's Sunday paper the week after I filed, and I literally broke out in a sweat...I literally felt like some sort of criminal.

This forum is the best place to get your mind right. Read all the threads, and you'll see that we are not bad people. I haven't read one posting where someone was living in the lap of luxury and just decided they didn't want to pay for their expensive trappings anymore. It's always been circumstances -- job loss, divorce, health issues, etc., that are beyond our control. We are only human.

Now that you've decided what must be done, do your research and make sure you understand everything your attorney is putting on your paperwork and how it all fits together. I filed myself, but I never would've been able to do it without this fantastic forum. Whether you have an attorney file or you file pro se, be as knowledgeable about every last thing on your petition and schedules -- it will take away that powerless feeling that for me at least, usually kicked in every night around midnight where I just couldn't sleep for thinking and dwelling on the situation.

My only regret at this point (now that it's over) is that I didn't start the process a year ago. I treaded water for so long before accepting there was no other way out, that now I feel like the past year was some serious stress for no good reason. Not one.

Best wishes on this journey you're starting! I promise the guilt in the beginning can't compare to the utter sweet relief you will feel in a few short months.
    Filed Chapter 7 pro se: 1/12/10 341 held: 2/16/10 Discharged and Closed: 4/20/10
    Stopped Mortgage Pymts: 5/1/10 Moving to Rental: 7/2/10. Hoping Wells Fargo forecloses in 6 months tops

Comment

No guilt here. The only crime was banks charging 29% interest on my credit cards! We've paid our debt and them some if I really feel the need to justify this, but I don't.

Once we found out we could actually file and keep the house and cars we were more happy and relived than we've been in a long time. Big sigh of relief. Minimal stress now. I actually feel good about living on this budget too!
      attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
      no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
      341, 05/10/2010
      discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X