Keep paying on mortgage once I file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep paying on mortgage once I file

Since I intend on keeping my house (and reaffirming the mortgage) is it best to keep making normal payments once I file? Or will the lender not accept payments while my case is open?

If you want to keep it, and its a reasonable payment/etc. for you, then YES keep making payments. Once you file though, you may need to call to find out if there is a new/different payment address. Many seem to be handled in a different department while in bankruptcy.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

By all means pay the mortgage. Keep them friendly to you. If you are able to just pay through without reaffirmation, that would be best if allowed by your bank. You don't know the future and if you reaffirm and the economy hits more rocks, you will be stuck with no house and a Judgment for your future. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

You must keep the mortgage current unless you want to surrender the house, period.

For us it was easy to pay online and then this month that option was disabled and we received a letter with an address to mail the payment. (I did call and the mortgage company released the stop so I can pay online again, never mentioned reaffirming)

So my advice is pay it a week early in case there are any glitches.
        attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
        no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
        341, 05/10/2010
        discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

Thanks for the answers. I do normally pay online each month, so I will be prepared to mail in the payments, and I'll call and talk to the lender to "stay friendly".

The only other thing I should do is claim that I wish to reaffirm on my statement of intention, correct?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X