top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After Filing, Do Law Firms Usually Monitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After Filing, Do Law Firms Usually Monitor?

My legal fees paid for the services of the BK attorney up to the time of filing (and to attend the creditor's meeting with me), but what I don't know is whether a typical BK fee also include them monitoring my case 'post filing', such that if there are creditor objections, or if other problems arise, they will notify me? Or (in other words) is the 'monitoring' pretty much up to me? I know about Pacer but have not registered yet, mostly due to lack of free time, but also because I am just not that excited about giving (yet another!) entity (in this case a government website) my credit card info.

You don't have to give Pacer a credit card. I set up my account without one, but that means they send your username and password by snail mail.....
    Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
    0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

ApresMoi we just recently filed and today received a letter ftom the TT requesting a few basic documents. This request was not listed anywhere on Pacer. We have an attorney but I am not sure if he had a copy sent to him and beings it is a Friday probably wouldn't hear from him until next week if he did get a copy. It is standard procedure and I have all the requested documents ready to mail.

It is best to be pro-active but having a good attorney who communicates very well can make your nerves be at ease. In general your filing fees cover you thru the 341 meeting. If you have any AP filings and/or the TT/UST objects to your discharge, you file amendments, re-affirmation agreements or anything else arises your attorney will probably notify you and also let you know how much his fees are to cover said tasks.

Good luck to you, we are about 3 weeks away from our 341.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I am also three weeks away from the 341. So the courts will notify me...that's fine by me.

Originally posted by Meatstick View Post
        ApresMoi we just recently filed and today received a letter ftom the TT requesting a few basic documents. This request was not listed anywhere on Pacer. We have an attorney but I am not sure if he had a copy sent to him and beings it is a Friday probably wouldn't hear from him until next week if he did get a copy. It is standard procedure and I have all the requested documents ready to mail.

It is best to be pro-active but having a good attorney who communicates very well can make your nerves be at ease. In general your filing fees cover you thru the 341 meeting. If you have any AP filings and/or the TT/UST objects to your discharge, you file amendments, re-affirmation agreements or anything else arises your attorney will probably notify you and also let you know how much his fees are to cover said tasks.

Good luck to you, we are about 3 weeks away from our 341.

Comment

Good to know. Thank you.

Originally posted by momofthree View Post
          You don't have to give Pacer a credit card. I set up my account without one, but that means they send your username and password by snail mail.....

Comment

sad to say but majority of the lawyers will only go as far as the 341. if there are any formal request or documentations you are also copied, but the point person is your lawyer after the 341 meeting. There are some things that show's up in pacer that requires attention, most of the time they put your lawyer on alert first, the trouble is, for the lawyers, you are just a case number. be proactive, if you see an unfavorable entry on pacer call your attorney, he must deal with it, as for AP that's an additional charge.
            This Forum is better than any lawyer I met.

Comment

unlike most courts, the bk court mails duplicate letters to the debtor and his attorney. so both you and your lawyer would get notifications.

i think it's unfortunate that not all courts do that. it allows lawyers to screw their clients because the clients have no info about what's going on, and if a client calls the court for info, the court personnel generally view them as wasting the court's time because they can "just talk to your lawyer". it gives lawyers way too much power.
              filed ch7 May 09
              341 june 09
              discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

What did the trustee ask for that your atty didn't have?

Comment

it's the other way around, there are times there are questions the trustee will have and they inquire with the lawyer. In the Nothern District of Illinois, it's by email. And most lawyers are not proactive. well at least 3 that I know that works with the law firm that I mistakenly hired. I know this because I have access to the email address the lawyer is communicating with the BK court.
                  This Forum is better than any lawyer I met.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X