Private Student Loans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Student Loans

I got caught up in a change of career dream and attended one of them shark schools for 90 days thinking the degree was going to help..... Now I am post 7 discharge and the school I attended is a sham and I dont want to pay them one red cent.... My questions is private student loans dischargeable since it was made prior to filing Chapt 7 and 13?
    Started in Chapt 13 Switched to Chapt 7 Discharged 2009 Dec.........Filed New Chapt 13 in 2010 to deal with new surgery bill and stripped second mortgage! The story continues

No. I believe with the change private school are treating the same.

Comment

Although Congress is considering a bill that will make private student loans dischargeable, right now they are not. Right now, private student loans are treated like federally backed student loans.
      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

However, everyone follow Senate Bill 3219 and H.R. 5043!!

Write your congressmen, anything!!

Help make private student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy!!

Comment

The school I used was ITT TECH avoid at all cost..... I am now attending South University to get degree in Legal Studies and ITT is trying to collect on a private loan
          even though I am in school... They said they could stall payments if back at ITT but not if I pick another school? Doesnt all student loans get forbearance while in class regardless of school of choice
          Started in Chapt 13 Switched to Chapt 7 Discharged 2009 Dec.........Filed New Chapt 13 in 2010 to deal with new surgery bill and stripped second mortgage! The story continues

Comment

I see those commericals for that "school" all the time...if you don't mind me asking, what made it a "sham"???
            May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
            May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
            May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
            9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Non-dischargeable, whether you think ITT is a sham or not, they have been around a long time and any loans you have for that school will likely be non-dischargeable.

Comment

My attorney calls private student loans the "crack cocaine of debt." Not dischargeable and yet run like a credit card (they want you to default and rack up fees.) But also not a priority debt in a 13.

I hope there's a special hell for whoever invented that status... and I consider myself blessed to have managed to avoid student debt.
                12/2009 Stopped paying CCs; 3/10 1st suit;
                8/2010 finally served; No Asset 7 filed. 11 mos since last bal xfer
                9/22/10 60 day club; 9/24/10 report of no distr; 11/23/10 DISCHARGED

Comment

A sham? Well when we enrolled we were sold on an non crowded class concept and having a dedicated computer in LABS to do programming work (field of study) I reported to LAB to find 2 different classes fighing over limited computers and two instructors using a open room to talk over each other to lecture on 2 different fields of study.... Very unprofessional... The entire ITT process made me feel like a calf being led to slaughter and all they really seemed interested in was how much money they could get on financial aid... Seems alot of schools are working for profit and just crowding in people in droves with no regard to qaulity level of education. Least it felt that way to me..... Also the internet is full of similiar complaints of this magnitude..

I just thought any and all school loans student aid were in forebearance mode while enrolled in school... ITT tells me if I went back to ITT I could be placed in forebearance but not by attending a different school ITT said no forebearance in this situation. They are very mean and rude in the collections unit...... I would advise all to skip this place I am glad I only stayed one quarter and moved to my new school which is has the seal of approval of the American Bar Association. I am going to hang out until I get my bachelors in Legal Studies and help people with what ever comes up. I really think I will enjoy this journey. I am in my second quarter now at South University and next quarter we start into Bankruptcy Law.....

Comment

Originally posted by car67 View Post
                    A sham? Well when we enrolled we were sold on an non crowded class concept and having a dedicated computer in LABS to do programming work (field of study) I reported to LAB to find 2 different classes fighing over limited computers and two instructors using a open room to talk over each other to lecture on 2 different fields of study.... Very unprofessional... The entire ITT process made me feel like a calf being led to slaughter and all they really seemed interested in was how much money they could get on financial aid... Seems alot of schools are working for profit and just crowding in people in droves with no regard to qaulity level of education. Least it felt that way to me..... Also the internet is full of similiar complaints of this magnitude..

I just thought any and all school loans student aid were in forebearance mode while enrolled in school... ITT tells me if I went back to ITT I could be placed in forebearance but not by attending a different school ITT said no forebearance in this situation. They are very mean and rude in the collections unit...... I would advise all to skip this place I am glad I only stayed one quarter and moved to my new school which is has the seal of approval of the American Bar Association. I am going to hang out until I get my bachelors in Legal Studies and help people with what ever comes up. I really think I will enjoy this journey. I am in my second quarter now at South University and next quarter we start into Bankruptcy Law.....
                    Your payments are deferred not forebearance. In any case no you don't have to go back to ITT for either one. As long as you're in school you can go into forebearance or whatever. Been there done that.
                    Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Originally posted by car67 View Post

Thanks for the insider info. I see these commericals all the time and they always sound enticing since I am older and would like to finish my degree. I have a co worker who's daughter went to one of "these schools", she co-signed for her and the daughter defaulted (never got her degree), these "schools" are very aggressive in collecting and now have garnished my coworker's paycheck
                      May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                      May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                      May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                      9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Some Career Private Loans have terms that have a maximum time allowed for in school deferrment/forbearance...so this might be the reason. I have several "Career" loans is what they were called that only had 4 years that they could be placed on in school status, after there NO other type of payment deferral is offered. Period.
                        Teacher Momma

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X