Walking away from house(Not Reaiffrmed) after chap7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking away from house(Not Reaiffrmed) after chap7

Got discharged a few months ago. Realized the house costs to much and want to give it up.

Should I just not pay and wait for forclosure?

Call Bank and tell them I want Deed in Lieu?

tell them I want cash for keys?

Also when I leave the house do I send keys to the bank or lock keys in the house?

Also just want to see if you can be fired for your house going into foreclosure or doing a deed in lieu? Anyway for employer to find out? Will bank call job?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat. We just decided this month to stop payment on the 1st mortgage. We are just going to stay as long as possible. I do not think employers will find out. It is illegal for the bank to try to contact you in any form to pay the debt since it has been legally discharged!

If you have decided to 100% let the home foreclose, it's in your best interest (financially) to stay as long as possible. Many people have been able to save money to look forward to the future by stopping payment on the mortgage. Remember, eventually, you'll need to find another place to live. You will definitely want 1st and last months rent + deposit up front. You also want a "cushion"! We learned this from filing BK, right? Not just blow all our money away?

For the record, I do not plan to contact my bank. We want to stay as long as possible. The next step is the bank sending (and posting on the front door) a legal Notice of Default.. at that point, you usually have 30 or 60 days to vacate.

Lastly, you should state which state you are in. Foreclosure laws definitely vary by state!

I'll let others give opinions on some of the other questions.
    Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X