top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Court date tomorrow am-too late to file for extension???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Court date tomorrow am-too late to file for extension???

Hi everyone,
    Due to me having to put my kitten to sleep a few days ago, I am a walking wreck. I haven't eaten in days, still cry at the drop of a hat and am just overall a mess. The problem I have is that my pre-trial hearing is tomorrow am for a debt (small claims) I am being sued for. Is it at all possible for me to call the court and request another date? I do not know if that is ever possible. I just do not think I will be able to keep myself together long enough to argue the lawsuit. Thanks so much for any help.

I'm pretty sure that you'll have to go in and talk to the Clerk of the Court to get an extension....

Comment

Thank you NHC. I actually just noticed on the summons that it states in bold: "THE CASE WILL NOT BE TRIED AT THE CONFERENCE, BUT MAY BE MEDIATED AT THAT TIME." Do you happen to know what that means? Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Beeheery View Post
        Thank you NHC. I actually just noticed on the summons that it states in bold: "THE CASE WILL NOT BE TRIED AT THE CONFERENCE, BUT MAY BE MEDIATED AT THAT TIME." Do you happen to know what that means? Thank you!
        You'll go in and sit down with the attorney assigned to this 'matter' in some conference room....don't let him be a dipweed....you can even go in tomorrow and file an answer....if it's for a credit card debt, file a response that says you have no idea where this debt came from and that you're asking for proof....it won't get rid of the matter but it will buy ya some time. On the other hand, if you talk to this guy and admit that the debt is yours....he'll ask for a judgement and at that point he can press the issue further (in 15 days I think) and get a garnishment....

Comment

Thanks so much NHC. I am actually feeling ALOT better about fighting these guys tomorrow. They have NO signature, NO original contract, NO account number/name on the Bill Of Sale, only 1 credit card statement page with just my name on it-no address etc. I guess even if I am crying tomorrow, I can just say "show me proof" and I know that they won't have anything. And on top of it, the credit card account # I am being sued for is on none of my credit reports. Hopefully it doesn't take long tomorrow. Do you happen to know how long these meetings usually last? Especially when the other person is fighting it? Thanks so much!!

Comment

Thanks so much NHC. I am actually feeling ALOT better about fighting these guys tomorrow. They have NO signature, NO original contract, NO account number/name on the Bill Of Sale, only 1 credit card statement page with just my name on it-no address etc. I guess even if I am crying tomorrow, I can just say "show me proof" and I know that they won't have anything. And on top of it, the credit card account # I am being sued for is on none of my credit reports. Hopefully it doesn't take long tomorrow. Do you happen to know how long these meetings usually last? Especially when the other person is fighting it? Thanks so much!!
            I think you will do better filing a response with the Clerk...that way it's on record and the burden of proof goes back on them....I think there is a sample response around here somewhere....in fact, you could go in and file this response today....

When I had to go to court I think I spent more time waiting than actually talking to the monkey....remember these idiots can and will lie to you to attempt to bully you....

Comment

Hi NHC, when you say file with the Clerk, is that something I do in lieu of the court meeting tomorrow? Also, is that something I can do today in order to stop the meeting from happening tomorrow? If so, I'll search the boards here and see what I can find as far as doing that. Thanks a million!

Comment

Hi NHC, when you say file with the Clerk, is that something I do in lieu of the court meeting tomorrow? Also, is that something I can do today in order to stop the meeting from happening tomorrow? If so, I'll search the boards here and see what I can find as far as doing that. Thanks a million!

Go check your PM's...I found the wording of the response...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X