top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Court this am-what a freaking joke that was....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what i am saying is that in some cases, if a judge decides that you lied under oath about not having money, then you could be ordered to pay and if you don't comply you get contempt. the creditor's attorney can just say they believe you are hiding something, and if the judge feels like it, he can make a "finding" that you lied and then find you in contempt.

and if you sign an agreement to pay but for whatever reason you can't, you'd be in contempt. i don't see any fundamental difference between this and "simply not paying."

i am not saying it happens all the time or to everyone. i am saying it can happen and has happened, and we just don't know about it.

and no, it's not a crime, that's why you don't get due process. you haven't been charged with anything, after all. you are in civil jail and you don't have the right to remain silent or a right to an attorney.
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post
      And if MA small claims is still that bad, move out of the f*cking state ASAP if you have small debts.
      It doesn't just happen in small claims court -- it happens in district court, too.

The vast majority of the debtors cannot afford to hire an attorney. That is a big problem, especially with abuses in civil cases.

Moving out of a state is not always an option for debtors, you know.

Why are you so hostile, or am I being too sensitive?
      Last edited by pileated; 05-13-2010, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
        hey pileated, did you say you saw this happen in massachusetts? was it district court?
        Yes, it was in district court, NOT small claims court.

Comment

thanx pileated... i don't think whatmoney is trying to be hostile. he just can't believe his ears. i would probably have said the same thing a few years ago before i knew what the court system really was.

if i am right, small claims courts don't have jurisdiction to enforce judgments so they don't have jurisdiction to jail anybody. that's why people in handcuffs would typically be in district court rather than small claims.

when you get healthier, i hope you will have the energy to go back to that court and take a case or two pro bono. and go public with it. it would be an incredible service to us all.
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09

Comment

Florida,s judges are known to be part of the good ole boy syndrome...it is a conservative state... but folks the issue here is .....IF you are going to play the judgment game.... you HAVE TO get prepared.....WHEN you KNOW you are going to get a judgment ...and MOST OF US KNOW WELL IN ADVANCE....and decide not to file bk for whatever reason....YOU have to try and protect your assets..BEFORE..you get that judgment...the Judge only tries to find out if you HAVE anything....the creditors are the ones that have to try and get it....OJ Simpson was a classic case......and he lived in Florida.....he carefully hid or transferred most of his assets BEFORE they got the judgment...and probably still has a lot hidden.....he went to jail for trying to get some of his things back.....NOT...for hiding them....if i remember irght they asked him where some of this stuff was....and he said he couldnt REMEMBER......Florida is very generous on the homestead issue...and head of household...etc...i suspect there is much more to this handcuff thing than is being posted....i was in court in florida with 100 others for cc, suit....and no one was handcuffed....the judge simply said if you admit the debt...i WILL order a judgment against you and 500 bucks attorney fees....

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
              when you get healthier, i hope you will have the energy to go back to that court and take a case or two pro bono. and go public with it. it would be an incredible service to us all.
              I don't live in Mass any more.

Comment

thanx pileated... i don't think whatmoney is trying to be hostile. he just can't believe his ears. i would probably have said the same thing a few years ago before i knew what the court system really was.
                Can't believe my eyes actually - I don't have a talking computer.

I know that no one goes to jail for not paying a judgment in my state, and in several other states I am familiar with, and handcuffs are for accused felons, not debtors. And, other than that old Boston.com article, I've never heard of anyone anywhere claiming it happened to them, for simply not paying a debt after a judgment. I think many newbies are going to be scared sh*tless if they think what is being claimed in this thread is anywhere near common. It borders on misinformation, IMO.

It's actually highly unusual for a court to impose sanctions unless every other avenue has been exhausted after violating a court order. And not paying a judgment is NOT violating a court order. The examples in the boston.com article gave no real details on each case. And if sanctions are given they are small and monetary, not jail time for a $200 sanction.
                “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Can't believe my eyes actually - I don't have a talking computer.
                  If you are ever in the Boston area, I'll be glad to let you know the courthouse and the day of the week there will be a lot of debtors there.

That will be a real eye-opener for you.

What I posted is not misinformation (or, in other words, a lie).

The judge did order the debt to paid in 30 days. The judge did say that if it was not paid, jail time would result for contempt of court for not obeying his order.

What's more, I am not the only person he said that to.

Comment

i do hope it's not widespread. but the authority to jail someone for contempt is in the state statutes, so the threat is always there even if it's not always acted upon. and i know i was afraid of it after lawyers upon lawyers told me certain things cannot happen in court because they are flat out against the laws, and then these very things happened to me. there is just nothing out there, other than an appeal, that stops judges from doing things that are illegal.

so i hope it's not widespread, and perhaps the fact that nobody on the forum is posting to say they have spent time in jail means that nobody on the forum got jailed, which would be good news.
                    filed ch7 May 09
                    341 june 09

Comment

pileated, i think every district court has a day of the week where they process these things, probably not just in MA but in all states. it just takes a phone call to the clerk's office to find out when. if whatmoney has the time, he could go to the one in his state and report back how many handcuffs were there... but he probably would prefer to spend his day doing other things.

oh, and, pileated, in whichever state you are, i would guess similar things could be happening... maybe you could go to your current local court and see if you can do some pro bono stuff there.
                      filed ch7 May 09
                      341 june 09

Comment

In reality if debtors could routinely be thrown into prison for contempt..I would be in jail already. Treehugger would be in the next cell. Albacore would be in another. Doesn't happen. Stop scaring people.

It's like saying you can be thrown in jail for speeding or not wearing a seat belt.

You do have to behave around cops and judges that is true. You can't go in screaming "this whole court is out of order".

But being jailed is not a normal remedy for nonpayment of a civil judgment. Note that non payment of taxes can result in criminal charges. Non payment of child support? Maybe. I know that here in NJ that stuff is handled by the county probation dept. But a civil judgment? The remedies for that are against assets only.
                        filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

and yet pileated saw what he saw and was threatened with jail, and he wasn't the only one.

maybe some investigation into what really goes on is in order.
                          filed ch7 May 09
                          341 june 09

Comment

For the new posters - here is what pileated said - which rather set me off:
                            Originally posted by pileated View Post
                            I had the same experience a few years ago and I was pretty sure after watching the court proceedings all morning, that the judge was either in cahoots with the lawyers, or was lazy and just perfunctorily processing cases.

It is easy to get away with this. Appeals are expensive and few debtors can afford them or do successfully handle them pro se.

In my case, if I did not pay the amount due within 30 days, I would be put in jail for contempt of court. Period. It is de facto debtor's prison. There were lots of debtors in the courtroom who were in handcuffs after having been arrested in the middle of the night.
                            Debtors arrested in the middle of the night, in handcuffs?
                            sniff sniff
                            “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I have, at different times, in different states, seen a lot of strange things go on in a court room, that made me really glad I was observing and not a party to the events. Scary stuff does happen. Stuff that defies logic and reason, never mind the law and civil procedure, and makes you wonder what planet you landed on when you walked in there. I don't doubt for once second that people are being threatened with jail for non payment.

Comment

For the new posters - here is what pileated said - which rather set me off:

Debtors arrested in the middle of the night, in handcuffs?
                                sniff sniff
                                Okay, so a true story sets you off. Nothing I can do about that.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X