Creditors after filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creditors after filing

I filed for chapter 7 in February and had my meeting of creditors on April 29, 2010 but I have creditors still calling what do I do? I told one of them that I filed and they said "oh well we never got anything" and they keep calling any help would be appreciated.

Did you file with an attorney or pro se?

Did you include ALL of your creditors/debts when you filed? If not, you may need to amend your creditor matrix with any you left out. Will make life easier...
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

my attorney just pulled my credit report, they arent on my credit report but they have me on telecheck which sucks.

Comment

You need to amend to add them...

You should include anyone you owe a debt to - even if they're not on your credit report. Creditors don't have to report to the bureaus. Some debts never end up there, some only end up there after in collections. Creditors have to pay to report, which is my understanding at least, so some especially smaller ones simply don't. I have some medical bills that have never reported.
        Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
        (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

I was in a similar situation and can tell you there's nothing to worry about. The next time the creditor calls (or you call them), simply tell them you have a "fully retained" bankruptcy attorney and a pending bankruptcy matter. Give them your attorney's contact info and ask them to stop calling. Don't get into specifics about having already filed and forgotten to list them in your petition. It's irrelevant and none of their business. Even if you hadn't filed yet, once you've officially hired a bankruptcy attorney (basically, paid him his fee), you become a waste of time for a debt collector. Even if they could hurry through a judgment against you before you filed, they know you're going to file soon and it's going to get wiped out anyway. Moreover, they cannot legally call you again once you've told them you have representation.

Then, of course, you and your attorney just need to make sure they get added to your creditor matrix so the court can officially discharge the debt.

Good luck.
          Last edited by nceguyfromne; 05-14-2010, 10:00 AM.
          4/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 no asset case w/car reaffirm
          5/2010 - 341 meeting, no creditors present
          10/2010 - Reaffirm finally approved and case discharged the same day

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X