Pay CCs with bank card online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay CCs with bank card online

Hello everyone. I am fairly new and keep an eye on this forum daily. Several folks have been very helpful with my initial question and I thank you all for that.

I am waiting to file Chapter 7 ( passed means test with flying colors) and am looking for attorneys. However, I have always paid my cards using my bank account online and was wondering about what will happen when I stop paying the cards (plan on doing so in next month or so).

Does anyone know if the cc companines could still pull payments using my previous bank account numbers without authorization? Anyone had a similar experience?

I also want to say that this forum is such a relief and so informative....a big thank you for all who post and reply to those in need!
    Filed CH 7 4/15/11
    341 5/23/11
    DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

If the bank account you have say Chase for example and you have a Chase Credit Card. They can and will from what I've read.

I opened a new checking account at a different bank. From everything I've read better to be safe than sorry. Close that account when and open a new one imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackdog View Post
      If the bank account you have say Chase for example and you have a Chase Credit Card. They can and will from what I've read.

I opened a new checking account at a different bank. From everything I've read better to be safe than sorry. Close that account when and open a new one imo.
      JD is correct. Also with the 'suggestion of bankruptcy' that your bank will get, they are likely to close your checking account anyway, but yes close that account as the creditors will try to pull funds if they know your numbers. This has happened many times if you do a search on the subject. Is it legal? Not sure, but it may be as an implied permission since you have given permission once and they hold the numbers. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Thanks JD and Hub. I think the only thing that might protect me is I am in Pa and my funds are a Gov't pension w/Direct Deposit and they can't touch my wages. It will be difficult to get the pension changed and take awhile. Meantime, I will remove my acct. numbers online and the few pymts I intend to make for a month or so.......will write checks.
        Filed CH 7 4/15/11
        341 5/23/11

Comment

Originally posted by sunshinepa View Post
          Thanks JD and Hub. I think the only thing that might protect me is I am in Pa and my funds are a Gov't pension w/Direct Deposit and they can't touch my wages. It will be difficult to get the pension changed and take awhile. Meantime, I will remove my acct. numbers online and the few pymts I intend to make for a month or so.......will write checks.
          Once the money hits the account they don't care where it came from. I don't understand the term removing your numbers online. If you paid through your bank and then they issued a check for you, they would not have your numbers. However if you have given them the account numbers for auto draft that is where the problem is. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Hub...........they have my debit card numbers......that's how they get my pymt. I think the bk just does electronic tranfers but not sure.

I intend to go in and take the debit card #'s off the acct.
            Filed CH 7 4/15/11
            341 5/23/11

Comment

Originally posted by sunshinepa View Post
              Hub...........they have my debit card numbers......that's how they get my pymt. I think the bk just does electronic tranfers but not sure.

I intend to go in and take the debit card #'s off the acct.
              That's what I thought. Good idea and you can just have the bank change the numbers and they will issue a new debit card. 'Hub

Comment

i would change bank accts altogether. the thing is that they know what bank you have an account at, and even if they won't know the debit card number any more, if it were me i'd prefer that they don't know where i bank at all. it's safer that way. so i would just open a new bank account and move everything to there, and NEVER send a check to any creditor from the new account. keep some money in the old account to cover any payments you wish to still make.

and: don't rely on anybody to realize that your funds are exempt. they tend to take first, then you are the one running around trying to get your money back. i am still trying to get my exempt unemployment benefits back and it's been over a year. so why risk it.
                filed ch7 May 09
                341 june 09
                discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Music

I would change accts right away but my check is Direct Deposit and easier said than done. The good news........none of my cc's are with my bank. Will for sure take steps to protect my money when I stop paying.
                  Filed CH 7 4/15/11
                  341 5/23/11

Comment

changing direct deposit doesn't take that long. your first step is to cancel direct deposit and they'll send you a check. even if you don't want to go through checks first, you can open a new account and request direct deposit to there - it will take 2 months at most.

good luck
                    filed ch7 May 09
                    341 june 09
                    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X