Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MarieT

Originally posted by MarieT View Post
    I was told by my attorney that Wells Fargo is one of the banks that freezes your accounts when you file BK whether you owe them money or not.
    That doesn't make a lot of sense to me but if you have doubts then you should play it safe and withdraw any and all funds funds from Wells Fargo before filing. I had a small loan with Wells Fargo and they were the only creditor that did not immediately comply with the automatic stay in my BK and stop trying to collect. They did, however, stop after I spoke with them directly and told them I had a lawyer.

The only ill effects I suffered from any of my banks/credit unions as a result of filing BK was having automatic debits canceled on my loan payments (ones I was planning to keep/reaffirm) and having to pay the bank directly. Other than that, none of them touched one penny of my money, including the credit union I had loans with.
    4/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 no asset case w/car reaffirm
    5/2010 - 341 meeting, no creditors present
    10/2010 - Reaffirm finally approved and case discharged the same day

Comment

I had a checking account, credit card, line of credit and a car loan at my credit union. After I filed they froze the credit card, line of credit and I couldn't use the automatic bill pay or my ATM card for my checking account. (A small nightmare) I could only write checks... so I had no access to cash if I needed it right away.

I opened a new checking account at a different credit union AFTER I filed. Had I known what the credit union would do, I would have opened a checking account somewhere else the day that I filed. After you file, any new money deposited into your account (ie paychecks) is completely yours free and clear.
      BK filing Mar. 23, 2010
      341 meeting May 5, 2010
      Discharged!! July 6, 2010

Comment

In reference to all the Wells Fargo comments. I've heard that they will even allow a creditor to freeze your account if you owe a creditor money. Personally I don't think I would do business with Wells Fargo.

I guess I have been lucky that my bank and credit union have been really good and have been working with me. They will keep my accounts open.
        BK filing ~ May 14, 2010
        341 Meeting ~ June 29, 2010
        Discharge ~ August 31, 2010

Comment

Again, I was told this is something that is specific to Wells Fargo. I am almost ready to close my WF account...just got all my accounts set up for bill pay at my new bank, got new checks and debit cards there. Of course I will be sure that there is only $20 or so in the new checking account when I file.

On the Wells Fargo, my husband took out $300 from the ATM plus we had a couple of auto pays go through so the line of credit advanced $360 to cover. Is that considered that I was using it like a charge card? The weird thing is, Wells Fargo had just taken their LOC payments ($368 and $140) early so that ran me short too. I am hoping that I can close the account before the next WF LOC auto pays come out. Since we have been paying on the LOC's automatically all along and not all the other credit cards, they might have to pay some back...not sure how that works.

Comment

I have a checking account with Wells Fargo as well as a credit card. I didn't want to change banks so my attorney advised me to pay the minimum on the card until we filed. As soon as I filed, WF closed my credit card account. They haven't touched my checking account. They didn't freeze it or deny online access. No problems at all. Maybe it depends how much money you have in there when you file? In our state, we couldn't have more than $300 so I only had $100 on the filing date.

Comment

Originally posted by MarieT View Post
              I was told by my attorney that Wells Fargo is one of the banks that freezes your accounts when you file BK whether you owe them money or not.
              true
              Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
              Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
              Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

So does anyone know what bank won't do that? We have Bank of America and have a credit card that will be included in our filing. If Wells Fargo is out, we only have US Bank in our town but we have a mortgage with them that is being foreclosed.

Comment

Originally posted by hsanders View Post
                  So does anyone know what bank won't do that? We have Bank of America and have a credit card that will be included in our filing. If Wells Fargo is out, we only have US Bank in our town but we have a mortgage with them that is being foreclosed.
                  Try a local credit union, or move things to an online bank for now.
                  Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
                  I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Pre-filing stage: my spouse has had a savings account at a Navy Federal Credit Union for a long time and *just recently* opened a checking account (in anticipation of our BK). Our current, active checking is with Chase which we will close soon since we also have a credit card with them. I have yet to add myself as joint owner of Spouse's NFCU checking.

Question: does anyone have any experience or know of someone who does with NFCU? The answers I am getting from this thread are mixed, on whether I should or should not worry about our money in NFCU when we start the BK process. (Note: we have no loans w/this bank.)

Follow up: should I anticipate hassles and just forego adding myself as joint owner to the NFCU checking, and simply manual-deposit my paychecks at least around the time of BK? My biggest concern of course is accessibility of funds for bills, etc.

Thank you for any and all comments, sincerely.

Comment

I got my notice of creditors meeting within 10 days of filing. I also got to enjoy the peace and quiet of no phone calls. I did worry about my bank account being frozen, but I will be at day 60 tomorrow and have not had that happen.

Once the 341 (which wasn't bad at all, just a couple of questions and I was done) is over, it's just a question of waiting for discharge.

Comment

Well my Wellsfargo accounts are in good standing, and paid up, and positive balance in all of them(not much, but a few dollars in each). I am hoping that they dont freeze them when I file on the credit card i have with them.

Comment

Realistically....this is what to expect after you file Bankruptcy...........

Comment

Any thoughts from the group on moving back to a bank you filed on during the automatic stay ? There's some great promos out there....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X