How to find out if my attorneys office has filed my case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to find out if my attorneys office has filed my case

We met with our attorney a few days ago and was told they would electronically file our case within 24-48 hours. As of Saturday all the receptionist would say is that she didn't have a file number yet. Do you get a file number right away when you file? Also, when should I register with PACER? Sorry for so many questions that may have been asked and answered here before but this is a very hectic time for me. Thanks to all who reply!
    08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
    04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
    06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
    08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

So were you able to file a ch.7 then? That's great!

For some people it shows on Pacer instantly, for us it took a couple days to show on Pacer...You can register now and check to see if your case is filed yet.
    Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
    0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

We were told what day we would be filed but never got a call from our attorney to let us know if it in fact actually happened. I had already registered with Pacer so was able to check Pacer and found that we did get filed the that day. We didn't get our case number from our attorneys office till the following week in the mail. So Pacer allowed us to get our case number right away.

If you plan on using Pacer anyway there wouldn't be any harm in signing up now. If you do sign up now after logging in click "query" on the top left corner then enter your name and if you've been filed your case number will show up and you won't have to wait to hear from your attorney.
      Filed Chapter 7 April 29th, 2010
      341 June 1st, 2010
      Report of No Distribution June 2nd, 2010
      Discharged and Closed 8/10/2010

Comment

Originally posted by jdcat View Post
        We were told what day we would be filed but never got a call from our attorney to let us know if it in fact actually happened. I had already registered with Pacer so was able to check Pacer and found that we did get filed the that day. We didn't get our case number from our attorneys office till the following week in the mail. So Pacer allowed us to get our case number right away.

If you plan on using Pacer anyway there wouldn't be any harm in signing up now. If you do sign up now after logging in click "query" on the top left corner then enter your name and if you've been filed your case number will show up and you won't have to wait to hear from your attorney.
        How much does it cost to sign up? I have heard others here say different fees. Also, will it give me a date for the 341 meeting or is that something I have to wait to get in the mail? Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Ann View Post
          How much does it cost to sign up? I have heard others here say different fees. Also, will it give me a date for the 341 meeting or is that something I have to wait to get in the mail? Thanks so much!
          Pacer is free to sign up for however it does cost 8 cents per page viewed so it should only cost you 8 cents to see if you have a file number yet or not. Our 341 meeting was set 3 days after we filed and showed up on pacer then.
          -Filed Ch7 pro se 04/14/2010
          -341 Meeting is 05/24/2010 (went uneventfully well)
          -Report of No Distribution 6/4/2010
          -Discharge 7/28/2010

Comment

Thank you so much!!!

Comment

You wont get charged anything if you don't go beyond $10.00. So, as soon as you log in you should download all of your documents into .pdf. Then dont look at them or download anything unless the account has been updated. You shouldn't go beyond the $10.00 if you do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mi Bankruptcy View Post
                You wont get charged anything if you don't go beyond $10.00. So, as soon as you log in you should download all of your documents into .pdf. Then dont look at them or download anything unless the account has been updated. You shouldn't go beyond the $10.00 if you do this.

Correct me if I am wrong but it still costs 8c to see if there is an update right?
                -Discharge 7/28/2010

Comment

The max charge for viewing a single document - like if you pull up an entire petition - is $2.40 as it caps at charging for 30 pages even if its more. Pacer can add up if you try to explore a lot of cases.

You can probably call your local district court and check for free. You can actually view all the Pacer documents for free, if you use a computer at the bankruptcy court.
                  Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
                  (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
                    The max charge for viewing a single document - like if you pull up an entire petition - is $2.40 as it caps at charging for 30 pages even if its more. Pacer can add up if you try to explore a lot of cases.

You can probably call your local district court and check for free. You can actually view all the Pacer documents for free, if you use a computer at the bankruptcy court.
                    Our brand new 100mil federal courthouse that just opened has no public access computers for viewing pacer. They only have computers for pro se files to assist in the creation of the mailing matrix.
                    -Discharge 7/28/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X