So here I am.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here I am.

Its taken a awhile for me to come here and post again. I just can't keep this up. My wife and I agreed that chapter 7 is what we are going to do. She is now medically disabled and unable to work again. We have 80K in credit card debt we short sold our house I'm turning in my lease tomorrow.

The medical bills are mounting.

We have two kids I work for a bank. I got laid off then they brought me back as a contractor in a temp position. After all the bills are paid at the end of the month and food we have maybe 100.00

Its time and I feel horrible.

Originally posted by jasoninaz View Post
    Its taken a awhile for me to come here and post again. I just can't keep this up. My wife and I agreed that chapter 7 is what we are going to do. She is now medically disabled and unable to work again. We have 80K in credit card debt we short sold our house I'm turning in my lease tomorrow.

We have two kids I work for a bank. I got laid off then they brought me back as a contractor in a temp position. After all the bills are paid at the end of the month and food we have maybe 100.00

I am sorry to hear about your situation. You are in good company here and many of us were in your exact situation. Hopefully filing bk will take the burden off of your back as it has so many of us.
    -Filed Ch7 pro se 04/14/2010
    -341 Meeting is 05/24/2010 (went uneventfully well)
    -Report of No Distribution 6/4/2010
    -Discharge 7/28/2010

Comment

Good Luck, I think It will bring you Peace of mind
      Marie

Comment

I knew it was time for me when I realized after all the utilities, medical, credit card and school bills were paid I was in the negative - this not counting groceries, gas, personal necessities which of course went on the credit card again to cover our butt every month. It was a VICIOUS cycle and I needed to get off. I joined this forum recently because I needed to be among people I knew who were just trying to get a little breathing room and to stop feeling so guilty for all the debt I built up trying to catch up. It's been very helpful thus far.

Starting the process and stopping the credit card bill paying was the HARDEST part for me- but I did it and though I am a bit early in the process I feel like I am off to a good start. I know there may be obstacles and stressful days ahead but there's no turning back now and that's ok. Realizing you need help is the first step. Good luck to you!

Comment

You're not alone

I know just how you feel. I'm in the same boat which seems like a sinking ship. It just seems everyday gets worse however, I have faith that what we are all going through, is for a reason. I have considered this for so long and realize this is the only way to a better existence.
          Don't feel bad, you're not alone,we're here to support each other. We all need to keep looking forward and somehow we'll get through this.

Comment

Originally posted by ndcm View Post
            I knew it was time for me when I realized after all the utilities, medical, credit card and school bills were paid I was in the negative - this not counting groceries, gas, personal necessities which of course went on the credit card again to cover our butt every month. It was a VICIOUS cycle and I needed to get off. I joined this forum recently because I needed to be among people I knew who were just trying to get a little breathing room and to stop feeling so guilty for all the debt I built up trying to catch up. It's been very helpful thus far.

Starting the process and stopping the credit card bill paying was the HARDEST part for me- but I did it and though I am a bit early in the process I feel like I am off to a good start. I know there may be obstacles and stressful days ahead but there's no turning back now and that's ok. Realizing you need help is the first step. Good luck to you!
            I stopped paying my credit cards three months ago for the same reasons. The stressful days will be over and I also know there is no turning back. How far in this process are you? I worry that I'll get sued.

Comment

Originally posted by freeatlast98 View Post
              I stopped paying my credit cards three months ago for the same reasons. The stressful days will be over and I also know there is no turning back. How far in this process are you? I worry that I'll get sued.
              Hi freeatlast98 - I'm a newer than new to this process. It's going to be 2 months since my last payment via my credit counseling program. Even if they got my payments lower I still could not handle it That's how I knew I tried everything and I had to go the BK route. I already started my paperwork and I'm in the final stages - I want to file before June 1st, that's my goal. I worry about being sued day to day but even if they sue me there is NOTHING they can take. Plus, (don't quote me here because although I have the advice of an attorney I'm doing this all pro se) that should all stop once you file. Someone will correct me I'm sure - that's why we're in the forum! Good luck to you

Comment

Hi freeatlast98 - I'm a newer than new to this process. It's going to be 2 months since my last payment via my credit counseling program. Even if they got my payments lower I still could not handle it That's how I knew I tried everything and I had to go the BK route. I already started my paperwork and I'm in the final stages - I want to file before June 1st, that's my goal. I worry about being sued day to day but even if they sue me there is NOTHING they can take. Plus, (don't quote me here because although I have the advice of an attorney I'm doing this all pro se) that should all stop once you file. Someone will correct me I'm sure - that's why we're in the forum! Good luck to you
                I stopped paying three months ago. I'm also filing Pro Se.
                I've started my paperwork also and I keep thinking "what if I forget something?" I too considered other options, such as debt resolution companies however, I knew that would be impossible because of my current financial situation. I'm self employed as I have been for the past 22 years however, business is almost non-existent. "Chase" is now offering me 0 interest. I can't even do that. I have been told that since I'm self employed, there isn't anything they can garnish. However, I have my home that I'm trying to keep. I have practially begged BofA for an in-house mod and they say they won't help until I'm late. Based on that I didn't pay May's payment and will be officially late on June first. It's a scary time.

Comment

Comment

We are going to see an attorney on Monday and start the process. We stopped paying on the creditcard bills a year ago and I have been talking to the collection agencies and I just reached my limit and its time to start down the path. I'm scared, if it was just me it would be easier. When you have children that depend on you and look at you what excuse do you really have?

I know the credit card companies can't eat me or take my kids but its just a horrible experience. I thought that my wife would get better after everything but she is now worse.

And the whole 10 years thing! 10 years on my credit report, ! I hate that idea my daughter will be 15 by the time that falls off. But I know I can start to build good credit soon. Is it possible to have a 750 credit score again with a bankruptcy?
                    I know what you mean - I was really just sick to my stomach about the whole "10 year" record. But, if I can get discharged I will spend those next 10 years building my 6 months worth of paychecks savings and more with the little extra money I have every month. I can also start putting away for my 10 month old son. I'm not thinking of buying a home in the next 10 years or buying a new car. My husband and I are living completely within our means and doing a cash only basis-weeding out the wants and just taking care of the needs. Really, the credit score is there for what? So creditors can offer you more credit because your score is high? It's not going to be forever and from what I see on here people are still getting offered cc even after they file BK. No thank you. I've learned my lesson big time. If you have your family you have everything you need. You'll get through this. I believe it for me and every honest person here needing this relief.

Comment

Originally posted by freeatlast98 View Post
                      I stopped paying three months ago. I'm also filing Pro Se.
                      I've started my paperwork also and I keep thinking "what if I forget something?" I too considered other options, such as debt resolution companies however, I knew that would be impossible because of my current financial situation. I'm self employed as I have been for the past 22 years however, business is almost non-existent. "Chase" is now offering me 0 interest. I can't even do that. I have been told that since I'm self employed, there isn't anything they can garnish. However, I have my home that I'm trying to keep. I have practially begged BofA for an in-house mod and they say they won't help until I'm late. Based on that I didn't pay May's payment and will be officially late on June first. It's a scary time.
                      YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS! It is scary - but since I decided to file, I sleep better. I do feel like I'm getting an ulcer looking and re-looking at my paperwork ;)

Comment

<snip>
                        Really, the credit score is there for what? So creditors can offer you more credit because your score is high? It's not going to be forever and from what I see on here people are still getting offered cc even after they file BK. No thank you. I've learned my lesson big time. If you have your family you have everything you need. You'll get through this. I believe it for me and every honest person here needing this relief.
                        After all this crap and spinning my wheels at buying on credit and in the end not being able to make a dent on paying back the principle because of interest rates, I will not get back on the CC treadmill again. I promised myself and my wife this as this madness has to stop. Living within my means the last few months has been very hard with out the cushion CC would allow. But slowly and surely I am figuring my living budget and I'm hoping to save something by the time my BK is finalized and hopefully discharged (ch 7). Having the 10 year negative on my credit report will be a positive reminder that I will not go down this road again. And after the BK falls off my report, I hope to be in the position that I will now need CC and debt to have the things I want and need. What I am really looking forward is building an emergency cash fund saving that will help us deal with unforseeable financial setback that may/will come about as we travel along in our lives.

Comment

I'm scared, if it was just me it would be easier. When you have children that depend on you and look at you what excuse do you really have?
                          Having kids that depend on you is an even more compelling reason to get your financial life back on track. It's not an excuse. It's a decision.

And the whole 10 years thing! 10 years on my credit report, ! I hate that idea my daughter will be 15 by the time that falls off. But I know I can start to build good credit soon. Is it possible to have a 750 credit score again with a bankruptcy?
                          Three to four years from now you can have your credit completely rebuilt. Yes, the bankruptcy will technically be there for ten years, but after 3 or 4 years, it's nearly completely meaningless.
                          Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
                            Three to four years from now you can have your credit completely rebuilt. Yes, the bankruptcy will technically be there for ten years, but after 3 or 4 years, it's nearly completely meaningless.
                            This part is true. We bought a car two years post bk, could have bought a house (we qualified) but we waited until 5 years post bk. Obtaining credit cards post bk, we applied about two years post bk, was just a matter of applying. We didn't have any trouble.

Things might be rough for a couple of years post bk but after that it's like the bk never happened.
                            Filed Chapter 7 April 29th, 2010
                            341 June 1st, 2010
                            Report of No Distribution June 2nd, 2010
                            Discharged and Closed 8/10/2010

Comment

YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS! It is scary - but since I decided to file, I sleep better. I do feel like I'm getting an ulcer looking and re-looking at my paperwork ;)
                              BIG THANK YOU for your encouraging words! I can't begin to tell you how much it helps to know I'm not the only one going through this. I know we'll all get through and I know the paperwork is sometimes confusing. I've started mine in preparation of filing in August or so. I'm looking forward to looking back at at this scary time and knowing this all happened so we could have a better future. I haven't gotten to sleeping better yet. Hopefully, that will come soon. Not sleeping causes more confusion and depression..

Good luck with your paperwork. What state are you in? I'm in Los Angeles,California?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X