Creditor calls..opinions pls..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creditor calls..opinions pls..

Ok, so this Friday was the first time we didn't pay the CC's that were due. Atty said not to pay them since we are filing mid July, once he is paid off. I AM TERRIFIED for some reason over the creditor calls. Are they going to take over my life and make me wish I never did this? Can they automatically take money from my bank account without my authorization? I have deleted my primary checking account number from almost all my online CC profiles (which I pay everything online, so they all had my info stored). Can they still access my account w/o my permission?
    ....I would guess the calls will be coming within 30 days of not paying??
    Last edited by ladyjenn; 05-24-2010, 08:41 AM. Reason: stinking typos....
    Retained lawyer 5/18/10
    Stopped paying CC 5/21/10
    Looking to File Ch7 in July, once we pay the Atty

The calls wil be coming within a week or two. Ask me how I know?

Comment

Originally posted by NeedOptions View Post
      The calls wil be coming within a week or two. Ask me how I know?
      Oh my! That is really soon! that means I am gonna have to deal with them for at least 2 months until I file....ughhhhh
      I can see I am going to have to put the phone on silent!
      Retained lawyer 5/18/10

Comment

Just part of the process. All they can do is annoy you if you're filing in July. They can't garnish your paycheck or levy your bank account unless they sue and win and that takes time.

Comment

Did you retain the attorney? If you did then all you have to do is tell them you are filing bankruptcy and your attorney can answer any of the creditors questions. After everyone calls you they will leave you alone.

The will ask you what chapter you are filing ect.. For what ever question they ask just reply with; my attorney can answer that question would you like his\her phone number.

Comment

Thanks! We did retain a lawyer and he said we may refer the calls to him. I can't imagine doing that job! LOL
            I get all in a dither so easy, and I guess I shouldn't. Look how many other people survive this process. I so want to be done with this all!
            Retained lawyer 5/18/10

Comment

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Open an account at a new bank, xfer your money to it and start using that account. If nothing else, report you debit card lost/stolen so you get issued a new one with a different #. They cannot make unauthorized ACH but they will use your debit/cc card info that was on file.
              Filed CH7 Feb 12 2010
              341 March 18
              Discharged...May 18
              Awaiting closing...

Comment

"They cannot make unauthorized ACH but they will use your debit/cc card info that was on file."

So they CAN use my debit card number?

What is ACH?
                Retained lawyer 5/18/10

Comment

ACH is where you authorize a debit from your checking account using your account # and routing #. I'm not saying they will but that if they have your debit/cc on file, even if you deleted it, their is the potential for them to do that. Stay one step ahead of them is all Im saying. D'TV tried to do that to me, even had the nerve to send me a letter saying the account info they had on file was invalid. ( because I refused to pay them the early termination fee due to moving because of FC).
                  Filed CH7 Feb 12 2010
                  341 March 18
                  Discharged...May 18
                  Awaiting closing...

Comment

Creditor Calls

I weathered the collection calls for 4 months before I filed CH 7.
                    they started coming shortly after I stopped paying. I was worried that they might sue me within that amount of time but they did not. I had a loan with the bank where my bank account was located and was concerned that they may freeze my account but that didn't happen. My attorney informed me that they can not touch your account without your authorization unless they get a judgement against you which takes a while. Chase called me from 4 different phone numbers, Discover, BOA, Amercan Express, Citibank from 3 different numbers, U S Bank from 2 numbers After I got their message I programmed my phone to not ring when I got a call from those numbers. I'm sure you will be fine until July and once you file you will feel a GREAT DEAL of relief like I did when I filed on April 30, 2010. My 341 meeting is June 7 and anticipated discharge is September 2010. Good luck to you.

Comment

So I should not worry about them getting into my money? What little there is, since we are planning on filing in July? I had one auto-pay set up, but deleted that in person at the office. I have no others, they were all one time authorizations.
                      Congrats carlsbadmike! I bet you feel a ton better....I hate the dreaded feeling of the creditors starting and really worry that they will get into my checking account!
                      Retained lawyer 5/18/10

Comment

Checking Account Withdrawal Worries

You DO NOT have to worry about them getting into your bank account unless they get a judgment against you which they probably can't accomplish in 2 months time. Most creditors would turn your account over to a collection agency before they sue you so you have time. I know what it feels like going through what you're going through and it's very nerve wracking. For me, all collection calls stopped within 10 days of filing and I'm sure the same will happen for you. I found that the more I read on this site the better I felt about my situation and you will probably feel the same.

Comment

I can understand how you feel. I was also afraid of the calls or worse, that they would show up at my front door, but none of my fears have come to pass. I stopped paying all of my CC's in March. One company called me after just 3 days of being late and this is after never being late on any credit card or loan, ever in over 25 years! I tried to tell them my situation (unemployment), but they just kept asking when I could pay. I finally had to say that I don't have a crystal ball, but it would certainly come in handy as I would love to know when I will start bringing in enough money to keep a roof over my head! While the conversation was cordial, I never answered another call. I figured it's not worth my time to try to talk with them because I just can't pay. I usually keep my ringer on silence most of the time so it's not that bad, but I do look forward to the day when my attorney will take the calls.

I did have a problem with autopay. I cancelled my autopay 30 days prior to my Cap1 bill and they still took out a payment! Fortunately, I had enough to cover it, otherwise it would have been a mess! I called them and they said I would need to fill out a form and mail it back to them in order to cancel autopay. I said it doesn't say that on the website and the payment never showed as pending otherwise I would have cancelled it. I did get them to refund the payment, but it put me in a bind. I will probably never use autopay again, because it is a challenge to cancel.

Good luck with your situation, the next two months will go by quickly. I am planning on filing ch 7 next month and it will be a relief to be on the other side of this.
                          Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
                          341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
                          Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by carlsbadmike View Post
                            I weathered the collection calls for 4 months before I filed CH 7.
                            they started coming shortly after I stopped paying. I was worried that they might sue me within that amount of time but they did not. I had a loan with the bank where my bank account was located and was concerned that they may freeze my account but that didn't happen. My attorney informed me that they can not touch your account without your authorization unless they get a judgement against you which takes a while. Chase called me from 4 different phone numbers, Discover, BOA, Amercan Express, Citibank from 3 different numbers, U S Bank from 2 numbers After I got their message I programmed my phone to not ring when I got a call from those numbers. I'm sure you will be fine until July and once you file you will feel a GREAT DEAL of relief like I did when I filed on April 30, 2010. My 341 meeting is June 7 and anticipated discharge is September 2010. Good luck to you.
                            Did you talk to them at all? If not, did they call your work? So far, I am 3 weeks late and they are calling multiple times a day. I haven't answered one call yet but probably will do so to avoid them calling my work.

Comment

Do you owe money to your bank? We had a CC with the same bank as our checking so we had to close the checking and move banks. They ARE allowed to take money out of your account IF you owe the bank money. All other CC companies need a court order to do it.

Also, I know they don't HAVE to stop calling you until that automatic stay is in place but if you answer the calls and tell them you're filing they most likely won't call again. I answered the calls as soon as we knew we were filing and they all stopped. They will ask for your chapter and case number, it's okay to tell them you don't know yet. GL!
                              attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
                              no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
                              341, 05/10/2010
                              discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X