Please help...new to this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help...new to this

Hi, I'm new tot his and scared and stressed. I was just served for a cc on May 4th, but just recieved the summons. I am living check to check because of the job market, but I look forward to finding a better job. What can I do about this? I was planning on filing bankruptcy, but its been impossible to save money. A close acquaintance, which is a paralegal, helped me and my ex-wife file our divorce and we have developed a strong relationship with him. He said he would help me file the paperwork and to only pay the filing fees. I seriously do not know what to do. Can you guys point me int he right direction or work with him, he has previously filed plenty of bk's but he said he stopped because they were too tedious, but he said he would help me do it. Please help me out.

I am new to this all too, and it IS very scary and stressful! The people on here are great and very helpful! Just remember 30,000 are filing BK every day so you aren't alone! (I read that on here)
    I would file if all you have to pay for is the filing fees and you think you qualify! That is a blessing in itself, plus you don't have to go through the process of interviewing atty's since you already have a relationship built w/the person that is foing to help you!
    Best of luck to you!
    Retained lawyer 5/18/10
    Stopped paying CC 5/21/10
    Looking to File Ch7 in July, once we pay the Atty

Comment

Originally posted by MOCAZEN View Post
      Hi, I'm new tot his and scared and stressed. I was just served for a cc on May 4th, but just recieved the summons. I am living check to check because of the job market, but I look forward to finding a better job. What can I do about this? I was planning on filing bankruptcy, but its been impossible to save money. A close acquaintance, which is a paralegal, helped me and my ex-wife file our divorce and we have developed a strong relationship with him. He said he would help me file the paperwork and to only pay the filing fees. I seriously do not know what to do. Can you guys point me int he right direction or work with him, he has previously filed plenty of bk's but he said he stopped because they were too tedious, but he said he would help me do it. Please help me out.
      Is this your only debt? How much is it? If you feel that bk is the best option for you then stop paying all of your unsecured debt and save for an attorney. It takes time for creditors to get a judgement and garnishment. While you are saving for the attorney you can go out and meet with a few attorneys and find one that has a good grip on your case.
      -Filed Ch7 pro se 04/14/2010
      -341 Meeting is 05/24/2010 (went uneventfully well)
      -Report of No Distribution 6/4/2010
      -Discharge 7/28/2010

Comment

no I have plenty more debt around 25 k, so I shouldn't go with my acquaintance the paralegal, I should just get a lawyer then?

Comment

Originally posted by MOCAZEN View Post
          no I have plenty more debt around 25 k, so I shouldn't go with my acquaintance the paralegal, I should just get a lawyer then?

Thats a decision that only you can make. There are plenty of people on these boards who have successfully filed bk without the assistance of an attorney or paralegal. If you feel comfortable with this paralegal then by all means let him assist you with your bk. On the other hand if you stop paying the 25k in unsecured debt, it wouldn't take long at all for you to save the money to hire an attorney. I filed ch7 bk pro se and while I have learned so much about the process I really think the last month and a half of stressing about everything has taken a toll on myself and my family. If I had it all to do again I would have hired an attorney to file my bk to eliminate the stress of not knowing that everything was perfect.
          -Filed Ch7 pro se 04/14/2010
          -341 Meeting is 05/24/2010 (went uneventfully well)
          -Report of No Distribution 6/4/2010
          -Discharge 7/28/2010

Comment

Originally posted by GettingGoing View Post
            Thats a decision that only you can make. There are plenty of people on these boards who have successfully filed bk without the assistance of an attorney or paralegal. If you feel comfortable with this paralegal then by all means let him assist you with your bk. On the other hand if you stop paying the 25k in unsecured debt, it wouldn't take long at all for you to save the money to hire an attorney. I filed ch7 bk pro se and while I have learned so much about the process I really think the last month and a half of stressing about everything has taken a toll on myself and my family. If I had it all to do again I would have hired an attorney to file my bk to eliminate the stress of not knowing that everything was perfect.

I see your 341 was today! Just wanted to let you know I hope it went well!~
            Retained lawyer 5/18/10
            Stopped paying CC 5/21/10
            Looking to File Ch7 in July, once we pay the Atty

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X