Judge's History with BK Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judge's History with BK Cases

Is there a way to research how a Judge typically handles BK cases (e.g., are they 'tough')? Other than Googling? Thanks.
    Last edited by ApresMoi; 06-12-2010, 08:03 AM.

Try Google Scholar and input the judges name to see what, if any, published opinions he/she has. Other than that, you may need to go to law library to use their resources to find published options. Many court websites will publish the opinions of its judges. But even then, the opinions usually only cover a very narrow issue specific to the case at hand, so even if you had every opinion written by the judge, you may not be able to find out what you are interested in.

You must understand, in 90% of cases, the judge is NEVER involved, so how tough or lenient one may be is immaterial.

This is one of the reasons an experienced BK attorney is useful, this sort of "practical" knowledge of the inner workings of each judge is not accessible other than working with the court day in and day out. A BK court may have multiple judges, and they all tend to do things differently from each other, so one judge may allow something that another won't, and there is no way for the average person to figure that out ahead of time.

Comment

I would think you would be more interested in how your Trustees handle cases

rustees
      Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Thanks HHM and Albacore:

I probably should have hired that former Judge (now a BK atty)!! I could not afford him, so went with more of a mill operation, who performed the work necessary (and seemingly adequately) to get me filed. I doubt they know much at all about the inner workings of the Court we filed in, particularly since their base of operations is in another District! They contracted out with a local BK attorney to meet up with me for the 341. Just a little concerned about some advice I was given regarding the storage expense (ex-Trustee on their staff said 'don't worry about it'). It's a big monthly expense. My case is a clear hardship case, so I am hoping they will not bother with trying to pick apart the petition.

I tried Googling the name of the Trustee, and there's a flood of info on something called Justia dockets.

Will post back here once the 341 is done (next week). Thanks again.

Originally posted by HHM View Post
        Try Google Scholar and input the judges name to see what, if any, published opinions he/she has. Other than that, you may need to go to law library to use their resources to find published options. Many court websites will publish the opinions of its judges. But even then, the opinions usually only cover a very narrow issue specific to the case at hand, so even if you had every opinion written by the judge, you may not be able to find out what you are interested in.

You must understand, in 90% of cases, the judge is NEVER involved, so how tough or lenient one may be is immaterial.

This is one of the reasons an experienced BK attorney is useful, this sort of "practical" knowledge of the inner workings of each judge is not accessible other than working with the court day in and day out. A BK court may have multiple judges, and they all tend to do things differently from each other, so one judge may allow something that another won't, and there is no way for the average person to figure that out ahead of time.

Comment

Apresmoi,

if you don't mind me asking, who was your trustee ? ( you can PM me if you like, dont wanna get in trouble )
          if you are in the san diego Area and need a great lawyer PM me !!! my lawyer did miracle's for me and has made my life better

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X