tax refund and median

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax refund and median

when determining your median do you count your tax refund as income?
    Filed 1/27/2011
    341 3/28/2011

Originally posted by hughewil View Post
    when determining your median do you count your tax refund as income?
    No. Make sure you are using gross income though and not net income.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Thanks, I wasn't sure becuase the attorney told me my bonus would be used to determine if i was over median, but i didn't think to ask about the tax refund i recieved this year.
      Filed 1/27/2011
      341 3/28/2011

Comment

Originally posted by hughewil View Post
        Thanks, I wasn't sure becuase the attorney told me my bonus would be used to determine if i was over median, but i didn't think to ask about the tax refund i recieved this year.
        Your bonus is income. Your income tax refund is money already accounted for in your gross income.

The only *catch* I can see to this would be a refund of money you actually didn't pay (child credits, etc.) Some people receive more money in their tax refund than they paid during the year. I'm not sure how that is accounted for. If that's the case with you, your attorney should know how that extra money plays out.

Good luck to you.
        Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
        I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
          Your bonus is income. Your income tax refund is money already accounted for in your gross income.

The only *catch* I can see to this would be a refund of money you actually didn't pay (child credits, etc.) Some people receive more money in their tax refund than they paid during the year. I'm not sure how that is accounted for. If that's the case with you, your attorney should know how that extra money plays out.

Good luck to you.
          Thanks, my tax refund was less than what I paid in.
          Filed 1/27/2011
          341 3/28/2011

Comment

Our attorney said that our refund would ABSOLUTELY count in our district, and that he knew the district just to the north of us would not count it. It doesnt make any sense to me either, but he said there were only two trustees in this district and they were both pretty harsh.

Comment

My attorney did say that our tax refund would be counted on a monthly basis, meaning it would be divided my 12 and applied for the six months prior to filing.

Comment

I don't like to hear that, doesn't seem right. Your median is determined by your gross and they want to add refund on taxes on top of that when taxes are taken from your gross.
                Filed 1/27/2011
                341 3/28/2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X