Few questions I am considering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few questions I am considering

So the day has come where I finally have to consider it. I am trying to consider all the potential issues aside from my credit score and lack of getting credit. I have a few questions on how this would affect me.

I really don't want anyone to know though I know this is public record. Is there any reason my employer would be told in chap 7?

I have to travel often for work, I get paid back but I worry about reservations. I need to rent cars and make hotel reservations. I'm not so worried about paying just not being able to get it without a credit card.

Lastly (and maybe a resolution to my 2nd question), I have a card issued in my name which I never applied for. It is actually my mother's card which she gave me (I am 36 and not young) in the event she needed me to get something for her. How will my BK affect her card? I don't want her to loose her card because of me and really would rather she didnt hear about it either. If that card remains, I could use it for reservations and then pay for the bills with my debit card.

They will not tell your employer unless you have a loan with them that you are declaring bankruptcy. If they are one of your creditors on your bankruptcy then they will be notified.

They will probably close the account after you file bankruptcy, if it's in your name as the account holder or as a joint user.

Most motels/hotels or car rental places will accept your bank card if it has a visa/MC logo on it. That's what I use and have had no problems at all.

Some car rental places won't accept them but I guess it's what car rental place you go through and where you live.

Comment

Thanks, you think they will close that card? I never filled anything out or even authorized the card. My mother had the account and asked them to issue out a card in my name which I never use but if she asks me to pick up something for her she likes me to use the card as she doesnt like me to be out my own cash. I can't see how anyone would know I even have it.

Comment

Originally posted by rck3 View Post
        Thanks, you think they will close that card? I never filled anything out or even authorized the card. My mother had the account and asked them to issue out a card in my name which I never use but if she asks me to pick up something for her she likes me to use the card as she doesnt like me to be out my own cash. I can't see how anyone would know I even have it.
        It will show up. I had a card in my name off my mom's account several years ago. Same purpose as what you're describing. It showed up on my credit report. It was easy for her to remove me off - just a quick phone call.
        04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

So if she removes me as a user then her card should be fine?

Comment

Acutally I did pull my credit when trying to figure out the best next move and it is not on my credit

Comment

Originally posted by rck3 View Post
              Acutally I did pull my credit when trying to figure out the best next move and it is not on my credit
              Hmm - don't know then. We never really figured out how it ended up on my credit report either - just knew we needed it off.
              04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

NM, I checked another report service and it shows on that one. I am called an authorized user. I think on the other it was only showing account holder status. It's easier to just have my mother remove me and be done with it.

After I get through this, is it possible for her to reissue a card in my name if she wants?

Comment

It sounds like you are just an authorized user and not a joint account holder. So since you are not the account holder they would not close the account.

Comment

ok, that is actually good. It would resolve my worries of reserving a car rental as I have to use enterprise w/ my corp rates and they are kinda a pain usually

Comment

An authorized user has no financial responsibility for the account. So bk would not affect that card. Be careful though. I told Best Buy to add my wife as an authorized user, and they added her as joint without her consent. Usually the credit card company doesn't have the social security number of the authorized cared holder because they don't need it.
                      I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
                      Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X