top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I mess up by telling my creditors that we are filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I mess up by telling my creditors that we are filing?

We aren't filed yet. I just spoke to the paralegal yesterday and he said that all of our documents have been given to the attorney for final review, and hopefully the next phone call we get from them will be telling us our court date. I have told about 3 creditors out of 15 that we are filing a Ch7. Their phone calls are getting worse and we haven't paid on the cards for over 6 months. I guess I sort of panicked and told them. I gave them the attorney's name and #, and they left it at that. Did I screw myself up? When I spoke to the paralegal, he said that we should be filed in 10 days.

Originally posted by debtsucks View Post
    We aren't filed yet. I just spoke to the paralegal yesterday and he said that all of our documents have been given to the attorney for final review, and hopefully the next phone call we get from them will be telling us our court date. I have told about 3 creditors out of 15 that we are filing a Ch7. Their phone calls are getting worse and we haven't paid on the cards for over 6 months. I guess I sort of panicked and told them. I gave them the attorney's name and #, and they left it at that. Did I screw myself up? When I spoke to the paralegal, he said that we should be filed in 10 days.
    Not at all. We aren't filing until next month, stopped paying CC's last month. We have told everyone that has called and gave the the atty info...Not one person has called back after that. They have all been pretty nice too....
    Retained lawyer 5/18/10
    Stopped paying CC 5/21/10
    Looking to File Ch7 in July, once we pay the Atty

Comment

it does not matter if you told them
      Filed Aug 28 2009
      341 Oct 2 2009-Asset Case
      Discharged Dec 16 2009
      Waiting for tax return and asset buy back to close

Comment

Not only should you tell them but also tell them that they need to contact your attorney and that if they call you again you will be filing suit against them.
        New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

We told all our creditors a full 3 months before we filed. All that happened was that they stopped collecting on us...
          Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
          0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Best thing I ever did was finally talk to my creditors and tell them I was filing. Most of them stopped calling me and some even reported to the credit agencies that the account was in bankruptcy before I even filed.

It was a huge relief and I hope that your experience is the same.

Good luck,

ep
            California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

I thought you weren't supposed to tell the creditors that your are filing for BK until you HAVE filed because it might expedite the process of them suing you (or send your account to a CA), or in cases of being late on mortgages, expedite the foreclosure process. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by joecon916 View Post
                I thought you weren't supposed to tell the creditors that your are filing for BK until you HAVE filed because it might expedite the process of them suing you (or send your account to a CA), or in cases of being late on mortgages, expedite the foreclosure process. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!
                There is no rule to tell or not tell. Impossible to predict how any one creditor will treat any one debtor or situation. You roll the dice and take your chances no matter which you do.

I had no house though so did not have that variable to take into account. Does it/Can it expedite the forclosure process? I hope that someone with that particular experience weighs in but I would think that telling them may make them more inclined to work with you. But maybe not. I could be wrong (shudder) and you just can never know for sure until you do it.

Good luck to you,

ep

Comment

Originally posted by joecon916 View Post

Thanks!
                  There is no rule to tell or not tell. Impossible to predict how any one creditor will treat any one debtor or situation. You roll the dice and take your chances no matter which you do.

I had no house though so did not have that variable to take into account. Does it/Can it expedite the forclosure process? I hope that someone with that particular experience weighs in but I wouldn't think that a creditor could expedite the process enough to matter if you are close to filing.

Good luck to you,

ep

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X