How do I Fire my Law Firm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I Fire my Law Firm?

I will have to review the contract I signed with them, but I think it only covers their services up to the time of the 341 (which is over now). I do not want them representing me any longer. Do I write them a letter? I think I can handle it from here anyway.

I have no funds to pay them for any legal 'extras' anyway. I am trying to keep a roof over my head, and get the discharge. That's it. I am in survival mode, and don't have time for any law firm games.

Originally posted by ApresMoi View Post
    I will have to review the contract I signed with them, but I think it only covers their services up to the time of the 341 (which is over now). I do not want them representing me any longer. Do I write them a letter? I think I can handle it from here anyway.

I have no funds to pay them for any legal 'extras' anyway. I am trying to keep a roof over my head, and get the discharge. That's it. I am in survival mode, and don't have time for any law firm games.
    Greetings again A.M.: Normally they ride you through a "normal" bk. Any questions from here should be answered freely.

However, you cannot just fire them. They are your legal representatives. Here is what we did and cost us and our (crappy) lawyer a day of work and a Court date.

We by pro se' Motion of announcement, made the motion to go pro se' and let our representative go. Once we got to the hearing, the Judge who was very kind, explained to us that we were basically done, and wait it out. He said I could do what you request, but why bother? So at that news, we withdrew our request.

As I said, it cost a lot of time but got even with the crappy lawyer costing her a days work for not being responsive to our questions. Also, it recorded her name in the memory of that bk Judge.

At this time, wait it out. You are not about to get any harm now and only have a few days left. Your friend, 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

What would be the point in firing them now, you had your 341. The case is basically over. Trust me, the attorney is not going to do any work beyond what the retainer allows unless you pay them upfront. Their representation is basically done anyway.

Comment

The point would be similar to 'Hub's. Besides the attorney being a no show at the 341, I can't get answers to simple questions (and the answers I do get hint that if I want their advice, I will need to pay additional legal fees).

As long as they won't do any work beyond what was agreed to (without payment upfront), that is fine by me. I just do not want to find myself in a situation where, by the simple act of asking a question, I am incurring additional fees. Based on what you say, that isn't something I need to worry about. Ok, I will leave it alone. And just wait it out.

Originally posted by HHM View Post
        What would be the point in firing them now, you had your 341. The case is basically over. Trust me, the attorney is not going to do any work beyond what the retainer allows unless you pay them upfront. Their representation is basically done anyway.

Comment

For 'Hub: Got it. I will wait it out (see other post). Thank you!

Comment

Let's be candid a bit, you get what you pay for. You choose the attorney, you have to accept some of the responsibility for this.

Keep in mind, the role of your attorney is to REPRESENT YOU for bankruptcy, not educate you about bankruptcy. If you wanted an attorney to be at your beckon call and answer all your questions and hand hold you, that would require $5,000+ in fees even for a simple case?

Comment

i paid extra to get an Attorney who is respected by the Trustee's in my district as I felt my case might get extra scrutiney by the UST. i pretty much already had the answers to My questions by belonging to this wonderful forum. well my strategy worked, and i came out of this standing tall, lost none of my assets, and ready to start fresh.
              Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

I have to say I've had most of my questions answered through this forum as well. Between this forum and the Nolo book, I've found the answer to 99% of the questions I've had so far. They have also given me a few things to contemplate that I hadn't even considered. By the time I started consulting lawyers, I was able to go in very confidently and discuss my options with them. I'd definitely recommend using this forum and the Nolo book as excellent resources in cases where you need information.
                Filed: 6/30/2010
                341: 7/26/2010
                Discharged: 10/6/2010

Comment

Originally posted by wonderingrov View Post
                  I have to say I've had most of my questions answered through this forum as well. Between this forum and the Nolo book, I've found the answer to 99% of the questions I've had so far. They have also given me a few things to contemplate that I hadn't even considered. By the time I started consulting lawyers, I was able to go in very confidently and discuss my options with them. I'd definitely recommend using this forum and the Nolo book as excellent resources in cases where you need information.
                  Exactly.
                  By the time I hired my lawyer, he said I was the most knowledgable client he has ever had.
                  The only qustions I had for him were some very specific ones about our particular situation, and how the local trustees handles them.
                  7/01/10 - filed!
                  11/20/10 - discharged and closed

Comment

I went with the least expensive attorney I could find, otherwise would not have been able to file. You do get what you pay for. That said, as long as they get the job done, I can overlook everything else. The 60 days should go by quickly. I hope nothing else comes up in the meanwhile.

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                    Let's be candid a bit, you get what you pay for. You choose the attorney, you have to accept some of the responsibility for this.

Keep in mind, the role of your attorney is to REPRESENT YOU for bankruptcy, not educate you about bankruptcy. If you wanted an attorney to be at your beckon call and answer all your questions and hand hold you, that would require $5,000+ in fees even for a simple case?

Comment

Congratulations to you! That must feel great.

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
                      i paid extra to get an Attorney who is respected by the Trustee's in my district as I felt my case might get extra scrutiney by the UST. i pretty much already had the answers to My questions by belonging to this wonderful forum. well my strategy worked, and i came out of this standing tall, lost none of my assets, and ready to start fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
                        Albacore44, how did you locate an Attorney who is respected by the Trustee's in your district. thanks
                        Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X