Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property tax payment

Hello...
    Once again I come on this board witha question, you all have been so helpful. I cannot reach my BK lawyer and this will drive me crazy if I don't get an idea of what to do before Monday.
    This is my situation,, We just received our house tax bill, my husband is filing WITHOUT me CH7 in Sept 2010, our attorney said :do not pay anyone more than $500.

Our tax is 750 for this half, he is palnning on paying 480 in august.
    from his personal checking account.

I have 2 questions: Is it allowable to pay the entire amount due OR is property tax considered a creditor?

Also, the tax comes in BOTH of our names, since he is filing by himself only , I am not filing, would I be allowed to make up the difference from MY OWN BANK ACCOUNT , by sending them a check in my name? My thinking is........he pays in his name only the $480 which is under the $500 mark, then I pay from my funds and my personal checking the balance of $270.

This is so fustrating! So basically I guess I'm asking, does HOUSE tax count in the "DO NOT PAY MORE THAN $500 " catagory or is it ok to pay a full house tax? and would it or might it be allowed for the two of ua to split the payment as stated above? Once again thank you inadvance for any information on this

I don't think your attorney had property taxes in mind with the "do not pay anyone more than $500".
    C7 Filed: 2009-11-06 | 341: 2009-12-14: | DISCHARGED: 2010-02-09
    Condo: Walked away due to 2nd mortgage intransigence; 1st foreclosed. Now totally DEBT FREE!!

Comment

I am not sure how it is in your district but I was in a similar situation. We have not filed yet and property taxes were due, first payment, recently for over 3000.00. We will be filing in the next month. I had to use tax refund, and other investment assets, to fund the payment. Our attorney told us it was OK to pay because it was a reasonable and necessary expense. He also told us that the state would not listed as a creditor for real estate taxes, and that after we file, it is OK to start saving the money to make our 2nd installment. Never could save the money (any money) to make the payments before because I was paying all money I had available to make the minimum payments on unsecured CC debt.

Anyway, it isn't like you are making a preferential payment to an unsecured creditor (property taxes are about as secured as they get..) and you aren't using the funds to buy something that is a luxury, etc. Good Luck!

Comment

Thank YOU both! ....I really appreciate your answers.thank you agian

Comment

Not exactly property tax, but 3 weeks before my spouse filed alone, he paid a large tax bill to the IRS and state. (1800 between the two). Taxes are in both our names, both came out of his account only. The lawyer said it is not preferential to pay taxes. They did not ask anything about it at the 341.

Comment

Thank You all again your answers made my weekend a bit more enjoyable

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X