Credit Card Offers & Other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card Offers & Other

So, my BK closed in January. I have a Fashion Bug card and an Orchard Bank non-secured card, $300.00 limit on each. I got these only because I I want to be able to get a mortgage with my new husband (married in April) when he retires and we eventually sell his house-probably in ten years. He could get the mortgage in his own name no problem, but it would be nice if eventually we could include my name on such a loan.

What is just giving me the giggles is that with only 6 months between me and the BK close, just on this tiny bit of well managed credit (I do small balances on each and pay them off in full) I am getting actual offers in the mail for more cards, more loans, cars, you name it. Pre-approved offers, not pre qualified.. Sure, my husband has a great credit rating and a good (not huge) income. That is not even supposedly a factor though.

I thought credit was suppose to be harder to get now. This is crazy. I throw these offers away with a laugh, of course. But wow, you can sure see how some people get in a whole lot of trouble again. They make that very easy to do. I also found out that with BK sitting on my credit report, my score is still 700. I am sure I could NOT get a mortgage in my own name today. My student loan debt is huge, and the BK IS there, of course. Funnier yet is my credit was terrible prior to BK, like most people who file.

I am amused by the whole thing, and I just don't get it!

Oh, and something else: I applied for an higher level management position (corporate) with a property management company. They told me the position involved a credit check because unlike site management I had access to a lot of company money. Assuming it was over for me for that position, I told them about the BK, and told them I had no excuses and I had learned my lesson but thanks much for the interview. Her reply? That did not matter, they were only looking for current unpaid outstanding debt that could create a temptation for theft. I still assumed it was over for me, but left happy enough because I could still be a site manager somewhere else or stay at my current job-so no big loss. Well, I have been offered the job! It is 12K more than my current position!!

I am NOT saying my experience is "typical" on either of these counts. I have a great resume in a strange line of work, and having gotten married may have something to do with the offers. But wow, this is NOT how they told me post BK was going to be!
    Filed: 9/9/2009
    341: 10/13, went well!
    Discharged 12/17/2009

I am pre - BK and I have a fashion bug card.. I hope I get to keep it as I love this store and you get so many coupons and discounts. I do not have a balance on it now. Surprise, surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by jenbow View Post
      I am pre - BK and I have a fashion bug card.. I hope I get to keep it as I love this store and you get so many coupons and discounts. I do not have a balance on it now. Surprise, surprise.
      Don't be shocked if they close it. I know a couple of people who this happened to, i have no balance on my macy's card and my lawyer said sometimes they will close the account.

Comment

My Fashion Bug card pre-dated the BK, and they let me keep it (it had no balance and had not been used for one year). They just recently raised my credit limit and it has been 6 months since closing so I am sure they know about it.
        Discharged 12/17/2009

Comment

Leena,

That is incredible about the job and your score. 6 months out and your score is at that level? All I can say is "wow."

With the job, that's the part that I have been hearing more and more about. If the recession only gets deeper, the pool of "clear" applicants is going to be smaller and smaller.

I am so glad to read that you are more than sensible with the credit offers. It's like what someone said before here that those folks know it will be years before you would be able to file again, so they are trying to get you to fall into the same trap. But, you have your eyes WIDE OPEN!

Have a great week coming!

Comment

Originally posted by leena View Post
            Pre-approved offers, not pre qualified..
            Just keep in mind pre -approved is not approved. There are plenty of instances where a pre approved ended in denial.
            Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
            Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by DebtHater View Post
              Just keep in mind pre -approved is not approved. There are plenty of instances where a pre approved ended in denial.
              But, the one card I did actually apply for was approved, and on bank cards anyway pre-approved tends to actually mean "approved", not "qualified".

I am NOT saying that is a good thing mind you, because these "great offers" are just invitations to more debt. So far as I am concerned, they actually prove how predatory the lenders are-indeed they think they have a live sucker because I made mistakes in the past and could not file for seven years. If I filed after that, they would have already made lots of money on me and they could get a tax write off on the balance. If I did not file but defaulted, they could take the tax write off *and* sell the loan to a collector, too.

When you take all of that into account, you can see just WHY it is so easy to get credit again.

I would not even have the two tiny accounts I have accept I want to build credit for that future mortgage. I will not be fooled again.

Thanks all and have a great week!
              Discharged 12/17/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X