top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how long from turning in paperwork to filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long from turning in paperwork to filing?

How long did it take your attorney to get everything around once you returned your paperwork? Our attorney told us to bring in updated pay stubs and bank account statements monthly until we file, but I'm not sure if it's because he's backlogged or because he thought it was going to take us a while to be below the median from DH's drop in income (as of July 1 we are below median, so that's not an issue anymore)

DH's dropping off the massive stack of paperwork tomorrow afternoon.

It took my attorney a week to have everything filed after I turned in the paperwork. It is normal to have pay stubs and checking account information. I had to submit 6 months worth of my paycheck stubs and then my attorney even asked for my work to submit the print out of my payroll totals for each week. After the paperwork was submitted and I was filed it took 30 days for the 341 meeting. Now I am just waiting to be discharged.
    Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
    341 meeting on 5/28/2010
    Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

I meant we need to drop off updated stubs and statements monthly...the past 3 months is included in the stack we're dropping off tomorrow. Sorry about that

A week? wow, that seems quick!

Comment

My attorney went back 6 months on my pay check stubs.
        341 meeting on 5/28/2010
        Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

So did mine . Gosh, hope tomorrow is a better day for me.
          It was 3 months for bank statements and 6 months for pay stubs. Then he wants new ones dropped off once a month.

Comment

If you have not filed yet that is why he is asking for more statements. The trustee will look back 6 months. Your attorney is also making sure you stay below the median so you will be okay. If you are doing a chapter 7 your attorney wants to make sure you will not be converted to a 13. That is why all your checking account statements and check stubs are being required until you file.
            341 meeting on 5/28/2010
            Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Four days after we turned everything in, we signed and filed. I was very thorough about having everything that was asked for.

Comment

I turned everything in on Friday (Holiday Weekend) and was filed on Wed. I consulted with over 6 attorneys and that was on my "list of questions" to ask...some attorneys were going to take 1-2 months and some a couple of weeks...it all depends on the attorney. This is a question you need to ask your attorney because you need to make sure have the least amount of money in your banking account.
                May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I turned in all my paperwork on the 9th of this month and we filed on the 16th. The office was crazy busy and had initially asked if they could bump us 2 weeks. I didn't really feel comfortable nor did I want to wait so we did it then.

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
                    I turned everything in on Friday (Holiday Weekend) and was filed on Wed. I consulted with over 6 attorneys and that was on my "list of questions" to ask...some attorneys were going to take 1-2 months and some a couple of weeks...it all depends on the attorney. This is a question you need to ask your attorney because you need to make sure have the least amount of money in your banking account.
                    I wish that was a concern for us!

Comment

It took two weeks for us, but that was because it was over the Christmas holidays. His normal schedule was to set up a review meeting 3 or 4 days after info was submitted, and if everything was correct, they would file the next day.
                      Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
                      Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
                      341 - 2/12/2010
                      Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

I officially retained the lawyer on a Monday in mid-April, got the paperwork, and returned it the following Monday. Then the paralegal emailed me for more information about two weeks later. I got it back to her. Three weeks after that I had a date set to go over it again and finalize it all in about 10 days. There were some changes that needed to be made, which he said would take a day or two (this was Wed the 2nd) and they didn't file until June 17.

So a LONG time. I'm a little annoyed by it as I was completely organized and ready to go.

Best of luck!
                        A mom on the Gulf Coast of FL filing CH7 and blogging about it. http://chapter7beforeandafter.blogspot.com

Retained Lawyer: 4/5/10. Filed: 6/17/10. 341: 7/21/10. Discharge Date: TBA

Comment

Originally posted by geye View Post
                          i wish that was a concern for us!
                          lol!!
                          May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                          May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                          May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...