Surrendered car--both weird and kinda funny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surrendered car--both weird and kinda funny

I surrendered my BMW yesterday. The BMW bank people gave me simple and clear directions on how to do it--so simple and clear that I asked them if they were getting a lot of these calls. "Oh yes--and it only seems to be getting worse."

However, the guy at the dealership to whom I surrendered the car seemed to by unsure of what to do when I called him and told him I was coming. He had it figured out by the time I got there, and the whole process took less than five minutes.

Called BMW bank back today to tell them the deed was done, as well as ask them what I should do about the release of liability. They had no idea!! They said the question had never come up. I find that hard to believe--although I am certainly not accusing them of lying. It just seems weird to me that no one has ever asked that question. I mean, if I do not release the liability to someone (and the DMV won't let me release it into space) at best I am still on the hook for annual registration fees, not to mention possible damage in the case of a future accident.

Am I right, or am I missing something here just because BMW bank still holds the title and the lien?

We kept the car for a while after the discharge and then turned it in when we found out it wouldn't pass smog and was going to need work. We had a 2002 chevy tahoe. It was my husband's baby. We drove it to the credit union, parked it, took the keys in and left. That was it.
    Filed 11/2007 Ch.7
    Discharge 2/2008

Comment

See if BMW will send you something (letter/fax/email) acknowledging receipt of the vehicle as of X date. Did you get anything from the dealer when you turned in the vehicle?
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Yes. As the NOLO book advised, I typed up a receipt and asked the fellow who took possession of the car to sign it. I wanted some record of the surrender not only for me but also for the trustee at my 341 meeting.

Comment

I took my BMW back to the dealership on Sunday because the lease was over. If the receipt doesn't work, ask for the same form that they use when they get a lease return. That form releases you of all liability. It's called the Lease End Inspection form (Final Inspection). That should be helpful.
          Filed Pro Se Ch. 7 on 7/7/10 341 Meeting 8/19/10
          Last Day for Objections 10/18/10 Discharged to a Fresh New Start 11/1/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X