What's the misc section under IRS allowable expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the misc section under IRS allowable expenses

What would go in this misc column in the above? $235 for a family of 4 -- just seems like a high amount for them to not have used for a particular category?

And apparel and services - $244??? Really, I'm allowed to spend that much on clothing each month? Dear Lord - don't tell my pre-teen daughter that!!
    04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Originally posted by ssmdem View Post
    http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa..._standards.htm

What would go in this misc column in the above? $235 for a family of 4 -- just seems like a high amount for them to not have used for a particular category?

And apparel and services - $244??? Really, I'm allowed to spend that much on clothing each month? Dear Lord - don't tell my pre-teen daughter that!!
    Edited and deleted because I need a 2nd cup of coffee and don't know what I'm talking about yet :-)
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Just my logic - but I believe 'apparel & services' includes shoes, dry cleaning, laundry supplies, etc as well as actual clothing purchases. We don't spend $200+ a month on it. But then, my inlaws buy clothes & shoes for the kids from time to time. They get things from family for Christmas/birthdays. And I spend several hundred $$ in the fall/spring on clothes and then little bits here & there throughout the year. Seems I buy socks for the kids every other month - new coats in the fall. Try to buy up so one lasts a while, but sometimes they go thru spurts where its hard to make one last the year! When you add all of that up - it probably does average out to be $200+.

For misc - I believe that just gives a bit of wiggle room since everyone's lifestyle is different. I don't think the govt. wants to get involved too much with saying what exactly you can & can't do, can & can't buy. Perhaps pet supplies, cigarettes and/or smoking cessation supplies, entertainment/recreation. Or even to help justify the need for cable/internet/phone - since some don't believe those go in with utilities on the home expense. (There is not a separate category for communication services on the means test.)
      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Things like postage stamps, batteries, diapers, cell phones, cable tv, gym membership, etc. that don't fit into other categories...
        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X