Question about UST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about UST

Is it common for the UST to get involved early in the case? We're just filed in the last two weeks or so, and got a call today from my lawyer's office that the DOJ was reviewing our case, and they needed to review and correct the income statements. The attorney's office said not to worry, that they made the corrections that were being asked, but that the UST was reviewing the case none the less. They also confirmed that our numbers were all still in line for a chapter 7.

I am definitely not trying to hide anything, I was as honest as could be with all our information with the attorney, but it was still concerning to hear the words "department of justice." I guess it is to be expected as we are over median income with a higher credit card debt. Should I check out pacer and see whats there? The attorney's office said not to worry, but they wanted me to be aware of what was happening in case they needed additional information or documentation on short order.

It is normal for the UST to get involved in cases that are over median income and "high" debt. You will see many posters here, including myself, in the same position. Gather your documentation and be ready to supply it immediately to your attorney. If you have the documentation to support your petition you have nothing to worry about.

I am a little surprised that your attorney did not tell you in advance that your case had that possibility. I was told at my initial meeting with my attorney and he gave me a list of documents the UST/panel trustee would likely want to review.

Check PACER so you can track your case.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I am also interested in knowing if anything shows up in PACER when the DOJ or the UST get involved.

Comment

Originally posted by ugghh View Post
        I am also interested in knowing if anything shows up in PACER when the DOJ or the UST get involved.
        I doesn't have to. In my case nothing showed up. They sent a letter to my attorney saying they were evaluating for dismissal under 707 or 727, and asking for the a load of documentation, then I heard 6 weeks later that all was OK. I can't find the link but while I was researching, I found a UST affiliated site that broke up these 'audits' into 3 camps - the random audits done by an outside firm, audits undertaken by the UST office accompanied by formal motions to the court and thirdly, the great majority of cases, where the UST sends out a 'highly detailed documentation request' without anything showing on Pacer unless their investigation results in a motion to dismiss or extend.
        Last edited by blockhead; 07-08-2010, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blockhead View Post
          I doesn't have to. In my case nothing showed up. They sent a letter to my attorney saying they were evaluating for dismissal under 707 or 727, and asking for the a load of documentation, then I heard 6 weeks later that all was OK. I can't find the link but while I was researching, I found a UST affiliated site that broke up these 'audits' into 3 camps - the random audits done by an outside firm, audits undertaken by the UST office accompanied by formal motions to the court and thirdly, the great majority of cases, where the UST sends out a 'highly detailed documentation request' without anything showing on Pacer unless their investigation results in a motion to dismiss or extend.
          Wow! I had no idea. Thanks for the post. Kinda makes me sad that I can not monitor everything going on with the case via PACER. Hopefully I don't hear from the UST either way, but I am sure it is inevitable.

Comment

Our attorney did let us know at our first meeting that there could be questions because of the income and debt, but that we really were a strong Chapter 7 candidate. They didn't mention the DOJ at the time, but I knew from reading these forums it was a possibilty. I was just surprised they were reviewing so quickly, I hear of others where the UST gets involved at the 341 or after. Maybe I will register for Pacer later today. I just want to be careful not to pull back too many pages, I don't want to incur any charges if possible and blow the budget...

Comment

Originally posted by CreditCretin View Post
              Our attorney did let us know at our first meeting that there could be questions because of the income and debt, but that we really were a strong Chapter 7 candidate. They didn't mention the DOJ at the time, but I knew from reading these forums it was a possibilty. I was just surprised they were reviewing so quickly, I hear of others where the UST gets involved at the 341 or after. Maybe I will register for Pacer later today. I just want to be careful not to pull back too many pages, I don't want to incur any charges if possible and blow the budget...
              I have been using pacer since May and have done a little bit of snooping and my bill is just over $20.

If you follow the ultimate pacer guide on this forum and don't do a lot of snooping you will probably be OK.

Here is the link --> LINK

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X