Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verizon Wireless

I am so MAD I could SCREAM!

When we filed BK in April Verizon was notified of the filing but we were not past due so we were not filing on them. The first bill we recieved after filing came from their BK Admin department. It said total due was was only $27. So I went online and looked at my account and it said that the account was suspended due to the filing. I called a rep in the BK dept and explained that we weren't filing on the service and wanted to keep it. She told me to just keep paying the bills on time and all would be ok. And it was we have had service this whole time.
    The next bill that came was $35. I paid it again before it was due. The end of June I went to see what was due (didn't recieve a bill) and it said $0. Didn't make sense but we had company over and didn't want to deal with it until this week. Yesterday I recieved a text from them saying that if I wanted to keep service I needed to call them. So I went online and a bill had processed the day before. It was closer to my normal bill and is due 7/27. Not a problem I had already taken it out of my budget so I had it. Paid the bill. No I didn't call them.
    This morning my husband and three kids left for Columbus to visit family. 30 minutes ago, my texts wouldn't go through to him. Apparently the service has been disconnected.
    WTF? So now I get to be worried sick that my family is in a super old car and pray it doesn't break down! I guess since I'm also driving a beater I should worry about me being stuck too.
    I know I need to call them and ask them WTH is going on but I think I should calm down first.
    Chapter 7
    Filed 4/21/10
    341 6/9/10
    Deadline to file a complaint 8/9/10

we're with Verizon and although we filed CH. 13 - we FREAKED OUT when we received not only a txt message but mail notification that our accounts were "closed". We didnt include VZ in our filings and like you, never late ever - but.. because they are a creditor, we had to notify them.

Turns out - due to BK, they were required to close our account, but reopen it under another sub account. So, whereas our org. account was 01 it then became 02. We were lucky in that they gave us 2 weeks before closing the account and never turned off our service - they worked it all on their end and we never had a disruption from the transition.

You need to speak directly with VZ BK department - the CSR's dont know crap and will tell you its because you filed BK they closed your account and shut it off. However...we did speak with our attorney re: ours and he did tell us that SOMETIMES VZ will close out accounts if CH. 7 is filed...they do have the right to stop service at any time if a person files BK, regardless if they havent been late or if they dont claim it.

Call VZ's BK dept and see what they say to why this was done.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I didn't include Verizon in the BK, either. I haven't been discharged yet, but filed on 4/15. I have either been lucky or it hasn't hit their files yet. I just renewed my contract for 2 more years with Verizon and received 2 new phones a few weeks ago with no problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

I use Verizon Wireless and I did not include them in my petition because (per my lawyer) they are not a creditor as I was current with my payments. The lawyers reasoning on them not being a creditor is I did not borrow money from them nor was I past due.

Being they were not included in my petition (other then the monthly payment was included in my Schedule J) they were not contacted regarding my BK. The end result is I was discharged back in March and never had a problem with them. I was not contacted by them nor did I need to change, modify or do anything with my account.
        Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
        Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

I was told that we had to notify all of our utilities and other services, even if they were not late, or past due they still needed to be notified of the BK.

I've had no problems with anyone else. With the exception of Verizon Wireless. Now the internet service we have through them I still get normal bills nothing shows on my online account either. So I don't get it.

I called them, and asked to speak with the lady in the BK Admin department I had spoken to previously but was told she was unavailable. Apparently though they would like us to put down a $500 deposit and sign a brand new 2 yr contract with a brand new account number. And the lovely kicker is? Since we weren't eligible for another year on our old account for new phones they wouldn't allow us to upgrade to a new phone on a new account. How does that work?

I'm going to go see if Sprint and AT&T would make us put down a deposit.
          Chapter 7
          Filed 4/21/10
          341 6/9/10

Comment

Originally posted by sunydoesitbe View Post
            I was told that we had to notify all of our utilities and other services, even if they were not late, or past due they still needed to be notified of the BK.

I've had no problems with anyone else. With the exception of Verizon Wireless. Now the internet service we have through them I still get normal bills nothing shows on my online account either. So I don't get it.

I called them, and asked to speak with the lady in the BK Admin department I had spoken to previously but was told she was unavailable. Apparently though they would like us to put down a $500 deposit and sign a brand new 2 yr contract with a brand new account number. And the lovely kicker is? Since we weren't eligible for another year on our old account for new phones they wouldn't allow us to upgrade to a new phone on a new account. How does that work?

I'm going to go see if Sprint and AT&T would make us put down a deposit.
            That was our understanding as well - all creditors, regardless if included in BK or not - had to be notified.

I'd ask where in their bylaws for BK filers that did NOT include them - only notified them - where you are required to sign a new contract vs. staying with your current contract, as well as why they are requiring a security deposit? Ask for supervisors - dont settle for anything less than that, get names and numbers as well.

is this the number you're calling?

Bankruptcy Contacts at Verizon Wireless
            Bankruptcy Contacts List
            Verizon Wireless Bankruptcy Administration
            P.O. Box 3397
            Bloomington, IL 61702
            Phone: 800-555-8879
            Fax: 309-820-7044

Comment

How can Verizon Wireless be a creditor when it is an entertainment service? That is the reason that they can charge you a month in advance. If they are a creditor would they not of had to have given you services and then waited for payment?

Cell phones, Satellites, internet service providers, & cable providers are all entertainment services. Every single one charges you one month in advance for a service and then you receive said service.
              Still learning all of this, but glad I've found this site! Thank you all for your advice and patience!

Comment

This is my understanding of how all pay for services as you go type bills are considered here... Cable, cell phones, etc. They are not credit/debt relationships - they actually bill you for the month to come. No need to list them in the petition (other than as an expense/payment on J) since they are not creditors.

The exception would be if you're past due - because then you owe for services already received.

Originally posted by DebtHater View Post
                I use Verizon Wireless and I did not include them in my petition because (per my lawyer) they are not a creditor as I was current with my payments. The lawyers reasoning on them not being a creditor is I did not borrow money from them nor was I past due.
                Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
                (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

you sign a contract - therefore you're obligated to that contract - whether it be a cell phone or satellite services, normally its a 2 year obligation with a fee if you break that contract before the time is up.

I dont know - but I know we had to include them in the list of creditors - its on the schedules where to list them. Our lawyer stated if we wanted out of the contract we could do so without issue, but given we were month to month, we needn't worry about it; but we must list them for notification of our BK regardless.

Comment

My understanding is the same as the last post. Our lawyer said we had to notify anyone we had a contract with. Also that contract would be voided.

Verizon did give me an automated call saying that something had changed on my account. I called in and it was because of the ongoing BKT. They did close the account, but my phones still work this happened last week. I think I will call them today and make sure my account does not get shut off without warning. Thanks OP for the heads up and best of luck with this issue. Now I'm off to my 341 today.
                    Filed CH 7 - 5/21/10, 341 Meeting - 7/9/10, Report of no distribution - 7/12/10
                    Last day to object - 9/7/10
                    Discharged - 9/14/10
                    Closed - 9/21/10

Comment

You make a good point - some are on a contract, some are not... Those 2 classes might be treated differently I imagine.

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                      you sign a contract - therefore you're obligated to that contract - whether it be a cell phone or satellite services, normally its a 2 year obligation with a fee if you break that contract before the time is up.

I dont know - but I know we had to include them in the list of creditors - its on the schedules where to list them. Our lawyer stated if we wanted out of the contract we could do so without issue, but given we were month to month, we needn't worry about it; but we must list them for notification of our BK regardless.
                      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
                      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Originally posted by DebtHater View Post

Being they were not included in my petition (other then the monthly payment was included in my Schedule J) they were not contacted regarding my BK. The end result is I was discharged back in March and never had a problem with them. I was not contacted by them nor did I need to change, modify or do anything with my account.
                        Same here....

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post

That was how the lawyers explained it to me. Maybe it's by district? I honestly don't know. He said they had to be notified, there were spots for everything to be listed so I did. Like I've said I've had no other issues with anyone else. I wasn't late at the time of filing if that makes a difference?

At any rate, I was able to open an account with Sprint. That doesn't help my family at the moment. But thankfully seemed to work out ok.
                          I'm just angry they waited this long to disconnect and that I was told it wouldn't happen and it happened anyway. If I had been told that up front I wouldn't have been so angry!
                          Chapter 7
                          Filed 4/21/10
                          341 6/9/10

Comment

I didn't include my cell phone carrier, garbage service, home phone, utilities, cable provider, etc.

All of those services were included in my expense schedule, but since I was not canceling any of those services and was current we did not notify them.
                            Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

Im in a Ch13 and got a text from VzW last week saying my acct had changed? I was like what? Called n was told that since I filed bk, they had to close out my original acct and open a different one which ends in 02 as an above poster mentioned!
                              Filed CH 13 5/28/10
                              341 Hearing 6/23/10 & 8/23/10/Confirmed 9/21/2010 36 months
                              DISCHARGED 9/12/13

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X