top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I pull credit report before I file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I pull credit report before I file?

In getting my papers ready for filing, the lawyer said, put whatever is on your credit report down for the debt. (not amount owed, but what accounts). So is it a good idea to pull it now, I already did my freebies about 4 months ago so I am assuming I have to pay to get it. Is it best to get them directly from each of the three CB's or use a service that gives all 3? Will all my creditors be on them? Do some not list everything? Thanks in advance.

Just an idea here - have you had any adverse action recently due to your credit reports (i.e. - Credit cards lowering limits, a rise in insurance, or anything like that)? If so, the agency/company making the adverse decision has to disclose which credit agency they used in making the determination for the adverse decision. From the date they send you the notification, you have 60 days to request a free credit report from that agency.

I actually used this technique to get two of my credit reports free, even though I had just recently gotten the freebies allowed once a year.
    Filed: 6/30/2010
    341: 7/26/2010
    Discharged: 10/6/2010

Comment

Hmmm, not sure, I guess it is possible, but I always throw those notices out, since I did not ever think I needed it. I have just started a new filing system and only throw away the junk mail! lol

Comment

I would order them directly from the major bureaus (CSC/Equifax, Experian and Trans Union). I do not like the "tri-merges" at all - they often miss stuff or are reporting inaccurate balances.

Often if you just put in the letter that you have been denied credit in the last 60 days, they send it for free anyways (they have been sued too many times to take the chance).

I am surprised that your attorney didn't pull them for you - that is SOP in this district.
        I am not a lawyer - I just play one on TV. It is always in your best interest to seek legal advice from a competent attorney licensed in your state. Any information I post here should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Yeah my lawyer is pulling mine and I kinda wish I didnt pull a copy of mine last month for free since now I'll need to pay for one once this is done to check on everything

Comment

Now that I think about it, he never said i had to pull it, he just said we will go off of what is on it. I will have to look at his packet or call. Thanks!

Comment

My attorney pulled a "consumer liability report" which is basically like a credit report and it shows all accounts. Maybe yours will do the same.
              attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
              no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
              341, 05/10/2010
              discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

Pulling your credit report(s) before filing is a good idea in that some creditors may show up that you may have overlooked. The paralegal in our attorneys office used the reports to compare it against the creditor matrix in our petition and a few anomalies did show up, nothing major but in one instance a CC that I hadn't used in years and forgot about. It can be useful and certainly doesn't hurt.

Comment

I was going to say pretty much exactly the same thing that gmk said. It gave me excellent piece of mind to know that I had definitely included every single creditor and that my amounts were just a tad over my statements and amount reported to the credit bearus. (My lawyer advised me to increase the amount over what I actually owe. It doesn't have to be exact and I wasn't sure how much late fees and such would add up to.)

Best of luck to you!
                  A mom on the Gulf Coast of FL filing CH7 and blogging about it. http://chapter7beforeandafter.blogspot.com

Retained Lawyer: 4/5/10. Filed: 6/17/10. 341: 7/21/10. Discharge Date: TBA

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X