Separate Filings During Divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Separate Filings During Divorce

I've got a case where I am not sure what to do.

Client is getting divorced and her soon to be ex is not friendly. In addition he makes most of the $$ so if they filed jointly it would likely disqualify them for a Chapter 7. We are in California and thus all operate under CCP 703 and 704.

Now as I read the 703 waiver, if both spouses agree then they are both entitled to use the 703(b) exemptions. But I've normally been in a case where only one spouse was filing. So I wanted input on whether both could file cases at more or less the same time and both use the 703(b) exemptions.

Also I wonder about the possible issue of the court seeing this as some sort of abuse. My client makes very little so she has no problem qualifying for Ch 7 but he makes a lot more.

So I wonder about the court either consolidating the cases and/or considering it abuse to get him into the Ch 7. The attorney representing her soon to be ex is one I've seen before and I have concerns about his ethics.

Should we wait to file or are we ok ?
    Last edited by lodibklaw; 07-15-2010, 08:54 PM.

Would it be easier to file them together with declarations of separate households and adjust the CMI to account for two households? I am not familiar with CA "rules" but that's what I would do in my districts . . .
    I am not a lawyer - I just play one on TV. It is always in your best interest to seek legal advice from a competent attorney licensed in your state. Any information I post here should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by starr4law View Post
      Would it be easier to file them together with declarations of separate households and adjust the CMI to account for two households? I am not familiar with CA "rules" but that's what I would do in my districts . . .
      It would be easier for them to file together but he is not willing to do so.

The issue is at least in part his income is much higher than hers. I am also concerned because his lawyer is somewhat shady.

I don't want to file and then have my client or I get in trouble since it could be seen as playing the system by filing two petitions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X