How do I get car title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get car title?

We've recently "bought out" our leased vehicle and refinanced the remaining balance of the car. After retaining our attorney he gave us a list of paperwork we need to gather before filing. One of them being, titles for all financed vehicles. Do we just need to call the credit company and ask for a copy of the title? Won't they ask what its for?! We've always purchased cars prior to actually paying them off (big mistake...hence our situation) so we've had multiple rolled over cars and have never had to deal with a title situation. This may sound stupid, but you only get the title after the car has been paid off correct??!!

If you are still paying off the car, the lendor retains the title. Once you have paid off the car loan in full, then you can contact the creditor to get the title. Hope this helps.
    Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
    341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
    Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

Maybe you misheard him. If a vehicle is being financed, no way would you have title. Unless you're the finance company

Comment

That is why I said if they are still paying on the car, then the lendor (financing company) would have the title, it isn't until the car is fully paid off that the OP can get the title.
        Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
        341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
        Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

Our trustee asked for titles of our vehicles. Our letter said that if the lender has the title, then he just needed a copy of our monthly statement for the vehicle.

Comment

This may be an issue that is specific to the OP's state.

I do know in NY, regardless if there is a lender or not associated with a vehicle the owner of the vehicle will get a title. On that title will list any lien holders that have any financial interest in the vehicle.

Once any loans are satisfied then you can do one of two things. Keep the letter sent by the lender saying the loan is satisfied with the title or apply (and pay) for a new title with the lien holder removed.
            Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
            Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

You may be able to get a free printout of a facsimile of a Title with lien from your tag office. You can't do anything with it as you cannot sell the car "legally" with a lien listed on it. Take the copy and your registration and that should satisfy your Trustee. Or, take a copy of the mortgage and your registration if you cannot get a Title copy. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Maybe things are finally falling into place...after wondering about our car title situation...it just happened to show up in the mail this weekend! (with the lienholder's name on it too) **Perfect**

Comment

Originally posted by DebtHater View Post
                  This may be an issue that is specific to the OP's state.

I do know in NY, regardless if there is a lender or not associated with a vehicle the owner of the vehicle will get a title. On that title will list any lien holders that have any financial interest in the vehicle.

Once any loans are satisfied then you can do one of two things. Keep the letter sent by the lender saying the loan is satisfied with the title or apply (and pay) for a new title with the lien holder removed.
                  Same in Ohio.
                  You cannot get plates for the vehicle without having the title.
                  That is why dealers give you temporary tags. Withing the 30 days they are good, the title work should be done, and you will get your title. Then go and get your plates, (or tranfer the old ones)
                  7/01/10 - filed!
                  11/20/10 - discharged and closed

Comment

Originally posted by youngnbroke View Post
                    Maybe things are finally falling into place...after wondering about our car title situation...it just happened to show up in the mail this weekend! (with the lienholder's name on it too) **Perfect**
                    Well that worked out! I have been waiting for things to fall in place for so long, and it ain't happenin'! Hence the BK7.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X