Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food & fuel to last family for 6 months exemption question

What does this exemptions mean?

Does this mean on the day of my filing I can have cash on hand for food and fuel to last my family for 6 months?
    Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post

Does this mean on the day of my filing I can have cash on hand for food and fuel to last my family for 6 months?
    I think the literal sense is what they mean. If you have an oil or propane tank you are allowed to fill it. Same with your pantry.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

It is a good idea for EVERYONE to have at least that much food and fuel stored. We are on the brink of another great depression, and if you cannot see that, at least YOU are in a depression or you would not be in bk.

The Mormons store a year's supply for religious reasons of possible famine. They are very family protective.

Think of this as "insurance". If things get real bad at least you can eat or barter your goods at today's prices and not hyper-inflated prices.

We store 500 gals of diesel, (I have a diesel car) canned stews (Dinty More is good) grains, spam canned hams, beans in can and dried, ammunition, paper goods, soap (good to barter or use) matches, coffee, kerosene lamps and l.e.d. lamps and batteries. Figure everything you would need after a hurricane. Good rule of thumb. It is exempt so stockpile.

This buying gold to hedge on inflation is so foolish. You cannot eat the stuff, how are you going to measure the stuff to buy a box of matches from your neighbor. But trading 5 22 bullets for a box of matches is real money. Think about it.

Old Book "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank c.1959 a very good survivalist novel. Still relevant today. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post

No. As the others stated, it means you are allowed to stock up on up to 6 months worth of food and fuel. They're not going to bust down your door and walk out with your freezer full of meat. However, if you have a couple thousand dollars sitting in your bank that you're claiming is to feed your family for the next 6 months, you can bet your butt they're going to take it....
        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Originally posted by momofthree View Post
          No. As the others stated, it means you are allowed to stock up on up to 6 months worth of food and fuel. They're not going to bust down your door and walk out with your freezer full of meat. However, if you have a couple thousand dollars sitting in your bank that you're claiming is to feed your family for the next 6 months, you can bet your butt they're going to take it....

Thanks, this is excellent info, I really appreciate everyone responding
          Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X