FREE Credit Counseling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FREE Credit Counseling

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has helped me out along the way. And I wanted to share a link that my lawyer just sent me it's for free credit counseling. The one you have to take before you file for BK. I just signed on and filled in all the information they requested. I'll let you know how it turns out after they get in contact with me in 48hrs. My lawyer stated that this site, want attempt to sign me up for debt planning, or anything like that.

For credit counseling, you have a bunch of options. A couple of them are:

This one is free, but may take a little time sending the certificate. That's not a problem -- they'll send it within a day or two of completion.

If you know any other free Credit Counseling Services please post them so we can all save some money.
    This isn't legal advice, I'm in the same boat you are.

Talked to lawyer Feb 25,2010
    Stopped paying / using credit cards march 1st.

I just submitted my information yesterday. I was a little leary since it is free, but after reading a few posts from people who have successfully completed it, I felt better about it. Hopefully I will hear back from them by Wednesday. I hope to file next week, providing my attorney is ready.
    Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
    341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
    Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

I think it worked, I didn't have to pay anything and all I did was fill out alot of information on there site and they send me a Cert: THATS IT...

Counseling Session Complete

You will receive your certificate of counseling via e-mail within 24 hours. Please check your e-mail!

IMPORTANT: If you do not receive a response from us, please check your junk mail or SPAM e-mail folder first as it may have been filtered there for your review.

If your do not receive an e-mail from our counselors, contact:

[email protected]

Comment

I got my response back from them today, so should get the certificate tomorrow or Thursday. I'm so glad that I didn't have to spend $50!

Comment

uhm - I know when we did our pre-BK counseling course - the certificate came within 15 minutes..... You should get it immediately via email attachment. ETA: We paid something like $50 for the joint debtors course....

are you guys sure that this isnt a scam? Did you have to provide any personal info like SSN, checking account, etc???
          Last edited by Pandora; 07-21-2010, 07:30 AM.

Comment

From what I see initially, it's only asking for the last 4 digits of the SSN. Counselor has to review your entries and then contact you, at which point you will receive your certificate. ????
            04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

I'm leery of anything that says "free". - and so far no one who's posted on here has come back and said "yep I got my certificate!" Hmmm...

I know we had to call into the center where we did our pre-BK counseling and provide the counselor with a cert number (or auth. number) stating we completed the course online (it generated a number for us) - and she pulled up our info based upon that authorization number. After that - she looked over everything and said we were done - and issued our certificate to us - stayed on the phone with us until we received it via email.

Took in total, about 15 minutes from the phone call to the cert in email.

Online course for the both of us took about 45 minutes or therebouts.

Comment

Looks fishy to me too, I think I will research it a little more.

Comment

Looks legit, they are listed on the US Trustee site as approved. Here is a link where you can look up your state, and see who is approved to do the counseling.

It is current as of July 9, 2010 according to what I see.

Comment

Originally posted by mrskal View Post
                    Looks legit, they are listed on the US Trustee site as approved. Here is a link where you can look up your state, and see who is approved to do the counseling.

It is current as of July 9, 2010 according to what I see.
                    I was just looking at the same site..

(ETA) *duhhhh* I cant see today obviously... :/
                    Last edited by Pandora; 07-21-2010, 08:02 AM.

Comment

The only reason I went there was because my Bk lawyer stated to use them. I know she stated that it could take a couple of days for them to send it. I just found out yesterday that I passed there checks. So I'll post back when I get the cert in the email.

But I didn't have to give them any personal info except for the last 4 of my SSN.

Comment

outofdebt -

let us know when you get your certificate - that way you can be the verification for others

ETA: NEVER MIND *lmao over here*

Good lord.. lasik must not be working... I SEE THEM NOW...

*jeez*

Comment

Not a problem. I should get it with in two days and I'll post back what I find. I'm happy to help out others on the site, because I've been helped out so much by everyone else.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

I was leery too, but after checking into it, they seem legit. I should get my certificate today or tomorrow. I'll post when I get mine too.

Comment

This is a legit site, they are approved with the US Trustee's office. If you go to their main website, click on the about section, you'll see why they offer it free. They are affiliated with Tides Center (www.tidescenter.org) which has a good many projects in their works.

I work in a bankruptcy office and some people have found that this is a fairly easy course and if you have the time to wait for the cert, the free part is awesome.
                              Some of our clients use www.abacuscc.org (check the US Trustee's website to verify if approved in your state/district) and they are $25.00 per session.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X