Finally filed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally filed!

My attorney filed my case on Friday. After so many months of planning, I am so relieved that this process has finally and I am getting closer to a fresh start, but I'm still a little sad to be in this position. I just checked pacer and it's a little disconcerting to see so much personal information online, then again it is a small price to pay for a fresh start.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my 341 is on August 26, barely four weeks after filing. Here we go, let the process begin!
    Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
    341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
    Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

It is odd to know your personal info is out there - but here are my assumptions:

No one will find your file unless a) its a random search, and in that case they don't know and don't care who you are or b) its someone you know and they're filing bankruptcy and checking names of family/friends to see who has filed. I don't think people sign up for Pacer and search files as a hobby.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

I'm a little confused about Pacer though. I even register to have an account on Pacer but when I search for my own name I came up with nothing though. Pretty weird. I must have done something wrong.
      Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

Try searching with less info. Or with more specific info.

For example, if your case was filed as John Q. Public and you search Johnny Public you won't find your case. If you just search by last name (Public) unless you have a fairly unique surname, you'll get more than you need and may have trouble figuring out which one is yours. (There may be 10 cases involving John Public.)

Try searching with your SS#. If nothing comes up still, you more than likely do not have a case filed. Contact your atty if you thought it was already filed... (Or your atty entered a typo on your SS#, not good.)

Originally posted by wnguyen View Post
        I'm a little confused about Pacer though. I even register to have an account on Pacer but when I search for my own name I came up with nothing though. Pretty weird. I must have done something wrong.
        As another thought - make sure you're searching the court for your district, where you filed. GA has 3 for example. If I file in the North GA district, searching in Mid-GA won't find me.
        Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo

Comment

SMinGA

Thanks for your tip. I found mine. But I also found two dates, one was "date of filing" and the other "date of last filing." I called my lawyer but she wasn't available and the secretary said that there was no amendment filing or anything. So what exactly is "date of last filing" then?
          Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

Would be the last date any paperwork was filed. Could be pertaining to notice of the 341 schedule, or confirmation that notices went to creditors? Much of the history will contain very basic forms - things that are filed in every case.

Comment

Now I get it. My brother's wife's and I co-signed his car in 2007 and they probably were trying to send her the notice of my filing but the address was too old then. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
                It is odd to know your personal info is out there - but here are my assumptions:

No one will find your file unless a) its a random search, and in that case they don't know and don't care who you are or b) its someone you know and they're filing bankruptcy and checking names of family/friends to see who has filed. I don't think people sign up for Pacer and search files as a hobby.
                SMinGa, I totally agree. It might be easy to get caught up in the worry of who will find out, but frankly I choose not to go there. I think your assumptions are right on. I would have never known about pacer if I wasn't in this situation.

Actually, my real reason for the posting was to say how relieved I am to have finally filed after all of the months of planning. It is great to be one step closer to a fresh start!
                Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
                341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
                Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X