Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New job offer after discharge but before closing

Hi all

I have gotten through my Chapter 7 with no problems. It s now 60 days post 341 meeting, and I am waiting for my discharge. I just got an offer for a new job which pays $410K, up from the $240K I currently make. My case was made an asset case last minute due to my tax return and will not be closed until November or so. Is there any risk to my discharge if I accept the job offer before my case closes or even before the discharge is filed? I need to respond by Monday next week. Thanks for the advice.

Chapter 7 making 240K...wow...

What line of work are you in that you have an offer for $410k?
    Retained Lawyer: June 28 Filed Chapter 7: July 8 341 Meeting: August 16

Comment

Take that job now!
      If the only thing holding up closing is the tax refund it should make no difference since the job opened up well after filing. You should get your discharge shortly.
      Even if it did cause an issue I wouldn't turndown a job that high paying.

Comment

hiding or fraud

Hello nubzster, it is a problem if you knew the job was coming in advance of the BK, planned your BK around it, and/or hid that fact from the trustee/court. Then it could be construed as fraud.

I echo 'contest', where are you getting a 410K job in this economy?
        Heck, where was the 240K job? I want to move there!

Tom in Colo
        Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

How about accepting the job and tell them that you would start in some certain time in the near future. In the meantime, waiting for the discharge, as your 60 days already came up.

Man, in this economy, having a job like that is pretty good. I wouldn't turn the offer down.

Tom in Colo, I want to move over there too, even if I can make half of that I'm still much much much better off than I am now.
          Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

I know that I could be judged by some on my filing for Chapter 7, since I am single, childless, have a job, and make about 15% more than the median. And I respect that every situation is unique.

I am sure nearly everyone here, however, has a really hard time comprehending how someone making 240K, and now possibly 410K, could be here asking for advice. I wish you the best, but it might at best seem a bit unbelievable, and at worst a slap in the face, to put these figures on here and ask for advice.

Comment

Judging from Nubsterz previous posts, it looks like he went into a business venture, it failed, and he owed $1,000,000 in personal guaranties. That's why he filed BK.

Yes, every situation is unique...can't say I blame him/her.

To reply to the OP: talk to a lawyer. I know that trustees can come after someone who has a windfall after discharge, ie wins the lotto, inheritance, etc. Certainly getting a raise of $170,000 could fall under this category. You need legal advice to make your next step...

Comment

Originally posted by tcreegan View Post
                Hello nubzster, it is a problem if you knew the job was coming in advance of the BK, planned your BK around it, and/or hid that fact from the trustee/court. Then it could be construed as fraud.

I echo 'contest', where are you getting a 410K job in this economy?
                Heck, where was the 240K job? I want to move there!

Tom in Colo
                Sub Question off of the statement above. My husband is currently in different stages of interviewing with 4 different companies. One company he started his first interview with them in April and its now August and his 4th interview is scheduled for the end of this month. Since we have no idea if any of these interviews will turn into actual job offers do we declare that he is in the interview stage with these companies at the time we file?

I want to be totally honest but if a company drags you along for 4 months and tells you they require 5 interviews prior to making a hiring decision not sure what we should tell our attorney and trustee when it gets to that point.

Any insight would be great. thanks
                Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

My understanding is that until a job is actually offered and a start date is given, there is no need to mention it to the trustee. I told my attorney that I may have a job change as I am also in the interviewing stage and she just said to let her know when I get a new job. I would suggest mentioning to your attorney and see what he/she says about it.
                  Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
                  341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
                  Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

Thanks great advice

Originally posted by kartoons19 View Post
                    My understanding is that until a job is actually offered and a start date is given, there is no need to mention it to the trustee. I told my attorney that I may have a job change as I am also in the interviewing stage and she just said to let her know when I get a new job. I would suggest mentioning to your attorney and see what he/she says about it.
                    Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

envy

Originally posted by sobeit View Post
                      I know that I could be judged by some on my filing for Chapter 7, since I am single, childless, have a job, and make about 15% more than the median. And I respect that every situation is unique.

I am sure nearly everyone here, however, has a really hard time comprehending how someone making 240K, and now possibly 410K, could be here asking for advice. I wish you the best, but it might at best seem a bit unbelievable, and at worst a slap in the face, to put these figures on here and ask for advice.
                      not judging sobeit, we are just envious.... : )

Tom in Colo
                      Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X