Monetary gift before 341

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monetary gift before 341

My Dad, who I am not very close to, is coming out next week for a visit. He knows that I have been struggling financially, but because he hasn't been very supportive (emotionally), I haven't told him about the bk. So today in the mail, I receive $200 cash from him to pay for gas. (Yes, that is a lot of gas! He is in his early 80's and I need to have a conversation about sending cash through the mail!)

I have never asked for or accepted money from anyone in my family and now all of the sudden I have this gift before my 341! If I give it back to him, he will be hurt and will keep insisting that I take it. I don't want the money and I don't want to do anything that will raise a flag at my 341, but I also don't want to hurt him or get into an argument about this money. If I take the money and use it for our expenses during the week he is here, will that cause a problem at my 341? I really don't want to tell him about the bk because it is none of his business. Two other family members have had bks in the past, so its not that he would look down on me, it's just I have chosen not to tell him. If anyone has any suggestions on how to handle this I would appreciate it.
    Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
    341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
    Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Its cash.... don't deposit it. Put it under your mattress, buy food, gas, etc...

Comment

Nobody will care about $200. Just use for normal HH expenses.

Comment

Since it's cash and not an obscene amount ($1k, 1mil, etc), I would say go ahead and spend it on gas, groceries, clothes, supplies for the home, etc. But then again, that's just me. LOL.

Comment

after filing date

It's before the 341, but after the filing date. Can't imagine anyone quibbling about $200 cash in the mail....enjoy the time with your Dad !!

Tom in Colo
          Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
            Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
            341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
            Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X