Storage Unit and Apt. on Schedule G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storage Unit and Apt. on Schedule G?

I was filling out Schedule G, which concerns Executory Contracts and Unexpired Leases. It occurs to me that my storage unit where I have some valuables stored constitutes a "lease." Also, the apartment I am living in constitutes a "lease."

If I put the two above items on Schedule G, is this the correct thing to do? Keep in mind that I still want to keep my storage unit and my apartment and I don't want the Trustee to "dismiss" these two leases.

Also, after putting them on schedule G, do I avoid having them dismissed (and lose all my stuff in the storage unit and lose my apartment) by listing them in the Statement of Intentions (Form 8) as debts that I want to reaffirm by checkmarking "re-affirm the debt"?
    Last edited by BankruptinNJ; 08-05-2010, 08:48 PM.
    Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
    November 2010
    Closed: January 2011!!!

unsure:I was filling out Schedule G, which concerns Executory Contracts and Unexpired Leases. It occurs to me that my storage unit where I have some valuables stored constitutes a "lease." Also, the apartment I am living in constitutes a "lease."

Make sure your storage valuables are listed in schedule B. Having said that I think the trustee is looking for unexpired car leases or leased equipment. I have never placed apartment leases in schedule G and the trustees have never complained about it. Worse case is he will want ask you to amend the petition. Very easy.

If I put the two above items on Schedule G, is this the correct thing to do? Keep in mind that I still want to keep my storage unit and my apartment and I don't want the Trustee to "dismiss" these two leases.

The trustee will not dismiss these leases that is not how it works. Like I said as long as you disclosed those items on Schedule B and exempted them you will be fine. He will not go after your valuables.

Also, after putting them on schedule G, do I avoid having them dismissed (and lose all my stuff in the storage unit and lose my apartment) by listing them in the Statement of Intentions (Form 8) as debts that I want to reaffirm by checkmarking "re-affirm the debt"?

The trustee will not take anything unless it is unexempted. As long as you disclosed your valuables in schedule B and exempted in schedule C you have nothing to worry about. Statement of Intentions is for secured items only. You can either choose retain or reaffirm for those.

Comment

Thanks RobGee. Will the court also contact the storage company about the bankruptcy? I mean, I don't want the storage company to think that I'm breaking the lease. I don't want them to sell my stuff! (although I am sure that they would notify me first!)

I am listing my "valuables" in the storage unit, although the thousands of books I have in storage I'm just lumping together. I'm certainly not going to name each one. The real "valuables" are just furniture that is not particularly expensive.

Originally posted by RobGee View Post
      unsure:I was filling out Schedule G, which concerns Executory Contracts and Unexpired Leases. It occurs to me that my storage unit where I have some valuables stored constitutes a "lease." Also, the apartment I am living in constitutes a "lease."

Make sure your storage valuables are listed in schedule B. Having said that I think the trustee is looking for unexpired car leases or leased equipment. I have never placed apartment leases in schedule G and the trustees have never complained about it. Worse case is he will want ask you to amend the petition. Very easy.

The trustee will not dismiss these leases that is not how it works. Like I said as long as you disclosed those items on Schedule B and exempted them you will be fine. He will not go after your valuables.

The trustee will not take anything unless it is unexempted. As long as you disclosed your valuables in schedule B and exempted in schedule C you have nothing to worry about. Statement of Intentions is for secured items only. You can either choose retain or reaffirm for those.
      Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
      November 2010
      Closed: January 2011!!!

Comment

Thanks RobGee. Will the court also contact the storage company about the bankruptcy? I mean, I don't want the storage company to think that I'm breaking the lease. I don't want them to sell my stuff! (although I am sure that they would notify me first!)

The only people that get contact are your creditors. If you listed the storage company as a creditor they will get notice. Other than that they will not get notice. It's just to disclose certain information to the trustee. They shouldn't sell your stuff either they will be breaking the law.

I am listing my "valuables" in the storage unit, although the thousands of books I have in storage I'm just lumping together. I'm certainly not going to name each one. The real "valuables" are just furniture that is not particularly expensive.

Clumping together is fine. Make sure you value your items at yard sale value because if the trustee were to liquidate them he could only get the fair maket value. Alot of people tend to overvalue their items. Trustee won't go after your household furniture.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X