Comcast Account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comcast Account

I recently filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. I included my Comcast bill as part of my filing. I owed them over $700. If I were to want Comcast in the future, will they make me pay this balance in order to get service? I know that the balance will be discharged, but how would they handle this? Would they ask for some kind of deposit?

Great question, one we've been wondering as well.

Comment

I'm not 100% on this but my suspicion is that if you case is discharged they could not come after you for that money. Should you be able to open a new account they could very well ask for a deposit.
      Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
      Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

Thanks! Yes, I'm sure I wouldn't be required to pay that money. I'm just confused about how they would handle it. Wondering if they could possibly just deny me service, and if so, how long would that hold up? Hmmm....

Comment

They would require a deposit, know someone who's been there, done that. I might suggest Dish Network or Direct TV. I switched from Comcast to Dish Network..........get free HD over 120 channels, free pay channels for several months.....all for 24.99 a month and then it goes to 39.99. I have been very happy with them.

Good luck!!!
          Filed CH 7 4/15/11
          341 5/23/11
          DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

They can't collect the discharged balance. They may want a large deposit (who would blame them), but as long as you paid your bill going forward they would have to give your deposit back if you ever left comcast.

I'd bet they wouldn't ask for more than a few hundred dollars deposit. In most big companies, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. They would probably just run your credit and see that you have a BK. Then they would charge a standard bad credit deposit.

this is just speculation, but in the end they just want more money from you on a monthly basis. They aren't going to worry about money you no longer owe them.
            Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
            Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
            341 - 2/12/2010
            Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

Are you married? The cable bill with Comcast was alwasy in my name only...we moved 2 times this year the first time I transfered the account and got wacked in fee's charged for he full bill at house #1 a partial and month in advance at house #2 the bill was almost $600..it was cheaper to be a "new" customer...When we moved the second time we opened the account in my husbands name only...$130 month for cable and internet..

I would love Dish or direct TV myself but they do run credit checks..I was told I would have to put down $500 on the equipment

Comment

Comcast

Public utilities cannot cut off your service forever but can charge you a deposit, usually an average monthly bill x 2 to 6 months depending on your utility. You get it back when you move to a place w/ different utilities.

They do the same thing for people with bad credit.

Most people find that a bk is a perfect time to switch to another carrier.....part of the 'fresh start' a BK is supposed to give you.

Comcast is a public utility meaning they cannot deny you service b/c of your BK (unless your public utilities commission is useless) They can, however, ask for a security deposit. Again, usually 2-6 times your normal bill.

If Comcast tries to get the discharged $700, do not pay and record each instance (name of person you were talking to, date, what was said, any paperwork.) Take this to your lawyer and see if it is worth taking Comcast to court for violating the orders of the court. There is a fairly hefty $$ figure fine for them, multiplied by each time they do it. In some districts you could be looking at a 5 digit fine for comcast. Check with your lawyer.

Tom in Colo
                Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Thanks for all the input!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X