Creditors' matrix -- I did a bad, bad thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creditors' matrix -- I did a bad, bad thing

I filed my Chapter 7, the appropriate end to a dismissed Chapter 13, on August 2.

Today I visited my P.O. Box and found that what is no doubt the notification to one of my three creditors was returned -- to ME! -- because there is no such address.

I just consulted my copy of the paperwork for my original Chapter 13 filing and the address I used was indeed the one they used. Since I just had three creditors both times, I just copied the addresses from my old matrix to create my new matrix.

No idea whether the Chapter 13 filing notification bounced back to my attorneys when that was filed a few years back or what.

What do I do now? I'm sure it matters not, but I owe the least to this creditor, under $2,000, I think.

I guess the moral of the story is that one should always verify the source of each address, and not just that no typo was inserted when it was copied from the source.

Thank you in advance. (Where is the crying emoticon?)

Sign me,
    Ms. Pro Se Filer, in chagrin
    11/2008 - Filed Chapter 13
    02/2010 - Chapter 13 dismissed
    08/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 pro se in new district
    09/2010 - Chapter 7 341

I got addresses off our credit report. Do that or google to find a correct address and then amend your filing to update thecredit matrix.
    Filed Chapter 7 - 06/30/2010
    Discharged - 11/18/2010
    Closed - 12/22/2010

Comment

Thanks brokejoker. I went to the trouble of pulling my credit report to confirm the latest amounts that creditors say are owed but did not confirm addresses by using the report, instead referencing the Chapter 13 filing papers for that part.

I really don't know what I'm doing here to fix this. I didn't open the notification -- it's not addressed to me and I didn't want to ruin the paperwork in some way.

How is the notification made now? I saw a post where someone told a person who had a similar problem that they could just send the notification on themselves. I guess I wouldn't do that without a return receipt request at this point.

I think I have to call the Clerk and find out what they require to amend it: a new matrix? A cover sheet? A declaration? Another money order for some given amount? I don't know exactly how to handle an amendment and what the ramifications of making this error are for my case.

My 341 is scheduled a bit less than four weeks out. Is the date of the 341 likely to be endangered by this sort of thing?

I was going to call the creditor so thanks for reminded me that I may be able to use the credit report address.
      09/2010 - Chapter 7 341

Comment

Okay, for anyone out there who panics after a similar incident, at least in my own district this isn't a big problem, though I suppose if it was a lot closer to the date of the 341, things might be different.

I called the court and the amended matrix and new declaration/cover sheet I prepared are unnecessary.

I spoke to my case manager who told me to put the correct address on the returned and unopened document, xerox it and then to pop the returned notice into a new envelope and mail it to the creditor. First-class mail is fine. I then send the xeroxed copy with a letter to the Clerk that says that the creditor has a new address.

No amendment is necessary and there is no fee.

At least, that works in my district. Of course, if this happens to you you'll need to find out what the proper procedure is to remedy it in your own district.

My case manager was very nice and said to call whenever I had any questions. That was pretty great.

Thanks.
        09/2010 - Chapter 7 341

Comment

creditor address fix easy

Hi empowered,

Glad your district has an easy fix for creditor address problems, so did ours (Colorado) Just like you said, amend the creditor's matrix, put returned notice in a new envelop w/ correct address, sent 1st class US mail. No problems.
          Only cost us a few stamps.

Tom in Colo
          Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X