how much can you claim in monthly expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much can you claim in monthly expensive

I know there are some limits, but how much can I claim on general expenses. Like food, clothes, gas, and such.

also I live with my parants (college student) their house is split into a duplex I live upstairs and pay the electrical for that part. Though it is in their name as I owe the company a bill from helping my sister get hers turned on and she let it go.

Can I claim a utility bill in my dad's name that I pay and am responsible for.

Here is my budget does it look ok. my monthly income is 1540
    500 rent
    280 jeep
    150 insurance
    250 food
    150 elec
    50 school
    100 gas
    45 dogs
    75 clothes
    50 medical
    1650 total

Comment

You may or may not be able to claim school expenses.
      Medical you can claim 60 (doctor, dentist, tylenol, bandaids...)
      100 for gas (for the jeep?) is low! You also need to figure in registration, maintenance, oil changes, tires...
      Otherwise your expenses look fine.
      I am not an attorney. I am just a fellow passenger on a sinking ship. Anything posted above is my opinion or best guess, and nothing more.

Comment

SO up it to 60 on the med expensive, 250 for gas figureing 1000 miles a month at 12 miles a gallon, which is probably what I do. God that is alot, no wonder I am broke after the second fill up another 50 a month for oil tires and maintenance.

Also I will be buying new tires. There goodyear mt/r with kevler for around 175 a piece. With alot of gravel and off road use I do when hunting and fishing I NEED THEM. Will the trustee question the purchase right around the time I file. I am using part of my student loan to buy them since my current tires are unsafe(had 3 shops tell me so)
        Originally posted by Maine View Post
        You may or may not be able to claim school expenses.
        Medical you can claim 60 (doctor, dentist, tylenol, bandaids...)
        100 for gas (for the jeep?) is low! You also need to figure in registration, maintenance, oil changes, tires...
        Otherwise your expenses look fine.

Comment

ohhh by school I meant pens, paper, anythine else I need. Also I need a new computer FOR SCHOOL. My current one is fulling apart, would there be a issue if I used some of my loan to buy one. I do not want them to make a issue of it but I need it for autocad and such,.

Comment

I also have a 12mpg vehicle. I just calculated my yearly gas spend and was shocked! But I know the numbers are right, so I don't expect any problems from the trustee.

As far as buying tires that should be considered a legitimate purchase. If you have a lawyer ask him/her just to make sure. Being told your tires are unsafe is a good reason to replace them, and also gives proof to your calculation of maintenance costs. (I might not mention the desire for offroading tires though- that might be considered a luxury not a need. I would still buy the tires, just not volunteer "I bought the more expensive ones so I can go mudding." Simple yes, no answers work best. )
            I am not an attorney. I am just a fellow passenger on a sinking ship. Anything posted above is my opinion or best guess, and nothing more.

Comment

Thanks, I checked my mileage and have put 8k on my jeep since buying it in dec. At 12 miles per gallon and 3 bucks a gallon that is 2k for ohh 8 1/2 months.
              Not so much mudding, not my thing though I tend to get muddy every so often
              My county is full of gravel and muddy roads I drive all the time. Just got off one 10 minutes ago on a job. I agree not volunteering it is for hunting or such. I will just say I bought the tires that made my jeep safer to drive and preformed will in the gravel, dirt, mud, and snow I drive in. The tires are more a At tire and not so much a hardcore mud tire. Though their alittle more aggressive than say BFG ATs but not much more.
              Originally posted by Maine View Post
              I also have a 12mpg vehicle. I just calculated my yearly gas spend and was shocked! But I know the numbers are right, so I don't expect any problems from the trustee.

As far as buying tires that should be considered a legitimate purchase. If you have a lawyer ask him/her just to make sure. Being told your tires are unsafe is a good reason to replace them, and also gives proof to your calculation of maintenance costs. (I might not mention the desire for offroading tires though- that might be considered a luxury not a need. I would still buy the tires, just not volunteer "I bought the more expensive ones so I can go mudding." Simple yes, no answers work best. )

Comment

Re: how much can you claim in monthly expensive

When making your monthly expense list you do not have to go over your monthly income, try to stay under it. You don't have to show that your totally broke, you just have to show hardship. You can even be $50 to $70 under your monthly income just to make it look more realistic. Otherwise they are going to wonder how/why you spend $75 in clothes per month when you have negative balance. I would take "dogs" "clothes" and "school" out of the list and instead put "entertainment/other $40 to $50" that will bring you down to $1530. That way you will show that you are only left with 10 or 20 dollars at the end of the month (the creditors are not going to waste their time trying to fight for a piece of that $20)

Also don't bring up that you had to buy expensive tires so you can go hunting, they don't want you to go hunting they want you to get a second job. In fact don't even tell then that you bought tires just list the expense as vehicle maintenance. If they make a big deal about it being tires and that they are so expensive, tell them that those tires were recommended to you by the tire technician because of the fact that you have to travel unpaved roads out where you live. The creditors are not tire experts and will have no knowledge in whether you had to purchase those expensive tires or not.

Even if the tire purchase so close to your file date was a problem you can just wait a couple months and then file, your attorney will notify the creditors that you are in the process of filing bankruptcy and they wont be able to do anything about it, like take you to court. In fact the creditor couldn't do anything about it even if you didn't file for bankruptcy especially if they are all unsecured debts. If the creditors take you to court you just show the judge the expense list that shows that you are only left with $10 or $20 at the end of the month and the judge will tell the creditor "tough luck".
                Should you file bankruptcy? See Avoiding Bankruptcy to learn more.

Comment

Thanks, I will make the changes. I figured 75 for clothes was high, but I am a big guy and a pair of pants for me cost about 50 bucks and a cheap T shirt is 22. Then 50 to 100 per pair of shoes, being so big and I walk on the side of my feet I go through a pair in a month to 2 months.
                  Originally posted by debthelper View Post
                  When making your monthly expense list you do not have to go over your monthly income, try to stay under it. You don't have to show that your totally broke, you just have to show hardship. You can even be $50 to $70 under your monthly income just to make it look more realistic. Otherwise they are going to wonder how/why you spend $75 in clothes per month when you have negative balance. I would take "dogs" "clothes" and "school" out of the list and instead put "entertainment/other $40 to $50" that will bring you down to $1530. That way you will show that you are only left with 10 or 20 dollars at the end of the month (the creditors are not going to waste their time trying to fight for a piece of that $20)

Also don't bring up that you had to buy expensive tires so you can go hunting, they don't want you to go hunting they want you to get a second job. In fact don't even tell then that you bought tires just list the expense as vehicle maintenance. If they make a big deal about it being tires and that they are so expensive, tell them that those tires were recommended to you by the tire technician because of the fact that you have to travel unpaved roads out where you live. The creditors are not tire experts and will have no knowledge in whether you had to purchase those expensive tires or not.

Even if the tire purchase so close to your file date was a problem you can just wait a couple months and then file, your attorney will notify the creditors that you are in the process of filing bankruptcy and they wont be able to do anything about it, like take you to court. In fact the creditor couldn't do anything about it even if you didn't file for bankruptcy especially if they are all unsecured debts. If the creditors take you to court you just show the judge the expense list that shows that you are only left with $10 or $20 at the end of the month and the judge will tell the creditor "tough luck".

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X